Thread: Masamoto Event Recap!

Masamoto Event Recap!

The past month has been interesting to say the least. Korin had knife company presidents come, the Gohan akimatsuri event, hurricane Sandy kept the showroom closed for a week, and tableware catalog is complete. Anyways, now we're November things have finally calmed down.

Our welcome table, showcasing the winning Masamoto Shiro-ko kasumi Yanagi 270mm (most popular size sold).

I think Mr. Hirano gave this to us. I'm assuming he did, considering how its still hanging in the showroom.

Because we were so pleased with the Misono cake, we asked Duet Bakery to make us a Masamoto cake. We were pretty convinced that the fondant was no longer sanitary to eat (everyone poked it) by the end of the event, so we had to cut off the fondant... Which was fine by me, since I don't consider fondant as food even if it IS edible.

And it begins! Translating and making sure the right night goes to right customer for ship out.

Mr. Hirano on the left, and... ::sigh:: my dear father looking pompous for no reason.

Mousse cups! Same as the Misono ones, but in a different container.

Mr. Hirano continuously engraving knives during the event. lol

His tools.

Result.

Happy crowd. There was not too much room to move.

Work space

Our happy showroom staff and designer!

I was supposed to translate, ask questions and translate answers back to the audience. It didn't happen that way... I was having a hard time understanding him. I was a little annoyed with myself, but it gave me incentive to brush up on my Japanese. lol

But, you know... As long as Mr. Hirano was happy and our customers were happy, all is well.

Winners of the raffle!

Day 1 winner was Tim Chan, from China.

Day 2 winner! (Didn't catch his name.)

Winner of raffle! (This looked like a graduation picture. Its very sweet, but I makes me giggle.)

Day 3 winner! Kevin from FuZhou, China, who is a sushi chef in NYC.

According to my Chinese friend/coworker all of the winners were from FuZhou, China.

Seamus Mullen stopped by to say hi and get his Kizuna knife engraved.

Removing the decoration and fondant sculptures.

Taking off the fondant.

And cutting the cake (to the best of our ability).

and finally... CAKE TIME!!! Decadent devil's food cake with (unknown flavored) frosting and lemon pudding(?). I ate this cake for breakfast for the next two days... Breakfast of champions!!

The event overall was a great success. Mr. Hirano fully enjoyed his stay in NY by seeing so many happy customers that take such great care of their knives, visiting jazz clubs, going to museums, and going shopping. We hope Mr. Hirano comes back to Korin next year.

Thanks for reading!

What kind of engravings was Mr. Hirano doing?

Thanks for the pictures/recap, Mari.

Wish I could have been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    What kind of engravings was Mr. Hirano doing?

Thanks for the pictures/recap, Mari.

Wish I could have been there!
    He was hand engraving Japanese/Chinese characters into knives with a chisel. He would arrange people's names into Japanese characters if they weren't Japanese or Chinese. He later told us that it was difficult when Chinese customers wanted their names engraved, because there were characters that aren't in the Japanese language.

I believe we can ask him to do them overseas and ship them to us, if a customer requests it, but it's always nice to see it actually taking place. We're still working on the video editing. Should be up soon.

Wish we could have had you there! Maybe next time.

Looks like a fun event! Great way to reach out to customers. And I don't think fondant is edible, so removing it was a good idea

Stefan

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a cool event
    Len