Talk me out of wanting a nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonhaber

Reaction score
The opposite of many posts here. I just got a nice gyuto. I have the urge to buy another knife. Tell me why I don't need a nakiri and save me some money :)

nakiri is much more fun than gyuto for chopping vegetable:tease:

You need a nakiri, sure, but before that, you REALLY need a sujihiki.
I respectfully disagree.

You need a nakiri first, so you can cut up the vegetables to feed to the cows, pigs, etc. The once they are all grown up you will need a nice suji (or three) :knight:

I respectfully disagree.

You need a nakiri first, so you can cut up the vegetables to feed to the cows, pigs, etc. The once they are all grown up you will need a nice suji (or three) :knight:

I have to disagree, not less respectfully, though. How will you feed the guy who has to cut up these vegetables??

funny thread.

I JUST got a Nakiri from the BST and find that they are a lot of fun for chopping...a bit more wieldy than the Chinese cleavers (for my skills + experience anyway).

Dunno if you are married, but there seems to be a trend of ladies liking the Nakiri but not gyuto (and in my case, also not Chinese cleaver).

The opposite of many posts here. I just got a nice gyuto. I have the urge to buy another knife. Tell me why I don't need a nakiri and save me some money :)

Ummm ya right NOT gonna happen on this forum LOL :p

I have 3 Nakiri and love each one for it's own uses, Cleavers are an experience all to themselves :) I still use one at work when I cut up the veg :)

Dunno if you are married, but there seems to be a trend of ladies liking the Nakiri but not gyuto (and in my case, also not Chinese cleaver).
Coming from a place where women drive ****-clobbering pickup trucks, shoot big freaking rifles, and have no trouble field dressing bucks six times their own weight, this sounds to me more the result (and perpetuation) of sexist and illogical marketing hogwash. Lol.

Vertigo, just summarizing several anecdotes I've heard (including my personal experience). Generalizations are worth what you pay for them though...maybe less.

Nakiris are fantastic little knives. Before my knife nut days, that's what I used and really liked it.

I'm not that wild about my Nakiri--I like my gyuto better. When I get around to thinning it I might change my mind. I miss having a point.

Mae West said it best: "I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing."

1933-mae-west.jpg

I use my nakiri maybe once a month just so it does not feel left out. I would get a suji or another gyuto before a nakiri.

The only Nakiri I have ever used is one made for me by Butch.
I use it as much or more than any of my other knives for veggies.

Maybe I am a little weird, but....
It makes me feel good because I have fun using it.
Looks cool too.

I can see I should have chosen my words more carefully...that's what I get for being in a hurry. :slaphead:

I'd get a parer or a suji first everything a nakiri can do can be done with a gyuto.

All the cleaver people do you recommend getting a japanese carbon cleaver or whatever the local asian mart has?

Nakiris are great IMO, and you can get a good one really cheap. Try a cheap one out, have fun, learn to sharpen something different, and then decide what you like (upgraded nakiri or a different knife)

k.

My recommendation would be to purchase a Murray Carter Nakiri, which IMO is the best damn Nakiri money can buy!

why I am looking for a good Nakiri....

1) it allows a chop cut motion which is more economical in motion as opposed to a push or pull cut.

2) most Nakiris are less than 50mm high. My ideal one must have knuckle clearance which shld be higher than 56mm like the one Will Catcheside made which will be a US pass around adn also the one that Bishamon ( Nathan) just let go and the one that I missed. With a higher blade, it will be an efficient scooper too which wld be ideal for a home cook as there is always something that I forget to prep. Also with the wider blade.. it will be great for flattening/smashing garlic.

3) thus I am going to try custom make 60mm, 70mm high, length from 16cm , 17cm and 20cm long ( stainless steel), western handle so that it one of the dimensions will hopefully be a perfect one for me; Hopefully . The maximum weight shld be no more than an average german chef's knife ( oh, abt 225grams). All those in the market, as far as I know weighs more than 300grams and some 400+. Too heavy for my feeble hands.

4) Spoken and emailed to a few makers in Japan.. so far no success. However, one of them shows some promise. Will see whether it makes sense for him to do these odd pieces.

Have fun and stay sharp..

rgds d

why I am looking for a good Nakiri....

1) it allows a chop cut motion which is more economical in motion as opposed to a push or pull cut.

2) most Nakiris are less than 50mm high. My ideal one must have knuckle clearance which shld be higher than 56mm like the one Will Catcheside made which will be a US pass around adn also the one that Bishamon ( Nathan) just let go and the one that I missed. With a higher blade, it will be an efficient scooper too which wld be ideal for a home cook as there is always something that I forget to prep. Also with the wider blade.. it will be great for flattening/smashing garlic.

3) thus I am going to try custom make 60mm, 70mm high, length from 16cm , 17cm and 20cm long ( stainless steel), western handle so that it one of the dimensions will hopefully be a perfect one for me; Hopefully . The maximum weight shld be no more than an average german chef's knife ( oh, abt 225grams). All those in the market, as far as I know weighs more than 300grams and some 400+. Too heavy for my feeble hands.

4) Spoken and emailed to a few makers in Japan.. so far no success. However, one of them shows some promise. Will see whether it makes sense for him to do these odd pieces.

Have fun and stay sharp..

rgds d

You are pretty much describing the nakiri design of Butch Harner. He made one for me that is a bit higher at the heel for better knuckle clearance and these days I reach for it more often than for my Carter nakiri. F you want to go custom anyway, definitely keep Butch in mind.

Stefan

Back