Cheap Nakiri - which to get
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Nakiri - which to get

Cheap Nakiri - which to get

Choices

1) $50 - Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri 165mm - White #2
    2) $80 - Dojo Hayashi Nakiri 165mm - AS covered in stainless
    3) $85 - Tanaka Kurouchi Nakiri 165mm - blue

Since my other thread trying to talk me out of a nakiri didn't work I figure I should get it the desire out of my system as cheap as possible.

Leaning towards 1) cause its really cheap maybe the $30 dollars would be worth it for the AS.

Thoughts?

I still say get a cleaver, but out of those three I would go with the tanaka. I have a few Tojiro from the same line, and while I love the steel, they need some work OTB (ie; removing or smoothing the KU finish, not very sharp, ect...) and the handle with the plastic ferrel is awful. I had a Dojo petty, and hated it. But that might just be me. I was also looking at the tanaka nakiri for at home, but ended up with another CCK cleaver, lol.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Of my handful of nakiri, the only one I actually do not like to use is the Tanaka KU nakiri. Fit and finish issues I can accept at this price point, but I really don't like it's feel: too light, weight too far back, gives a flimsy feeling. It's been while since I used it, so maybe I should give it another chance, but it feels like a chore to have to do so.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    I still say get a cleaver
    Why the cleaver over the nakiri?

Kiwi Brand, from Thailand. Best $5-10 you'll ever spend!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

got a link to a place that sells them online?

Quote Originally Posted by jonhaber View Post
    Why the cleaver over the nakiri?
    I do recommend small Chinese cleaver for home cook. check out the profiles, the Chinese cleaver is more all-around knife, good for push cut, rocking & chop. some nakiri's blade just too thin & light to be a good utility knife.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I do recommend small Chinese cleaver for home cook.
    Like the cck small cleaver?

I have the dojo and the steel takes and holds a great edge. Very simple but fine f &f.