Quantcast
Need help with Forbidden Foods menu
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Forbidden Foods menu

Need help with Forbidden Foods menu

Hi Everybody,

Long time no post! Sorry that my first post after a long hiatus (new job, you know how it goes) is to ask for help, but the MIL is looking to do a Forbidden/Banned foods menu for New Years and I don't have too many ideas. They're in CA so the entire idea was prompted by the foie gras ban, but you can't do an entire evening of just foie gras. (or CAN you?!…..)

I offered to do a huge batch of home-made root beer floats made with sassafras (banned as it's supposedly carcinogenic) and raw milk ice cream. Other ideas have included some legally harvested but officially protected lobsters that are floating around in someone's freezer… We can obviously bring mounds and mounds of foie gras as we're so near hudson valley...

And that's about it. I'll be honest, I'm not really sold on the theme, as truly taboo foods I'd likely not be down with preparing. But the mother-in-law is the mother-in-law, so… yeah. A forbidden foods menu it is.

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas? Maybe just some nominally taboo foods? These parties aren't generally filled with the most adventurous eaters, so it can't be TOO taboo.

Thanks!
    Ben

I'm diabetic so I'd say bread, pasta, potatoes and dessert! :-P

-AJ

You could always incorporate moonshine or absynthe flavors into something.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Already planning some Absinthe cocktails, and am going to look into using the father-in-law's still to do some White Lightning. Failing that, there's some pretty good corn whiskey on the market these days, so I'll just pour that stuff into flasks and tell people it's home made

There are several other "banned" foods that are prevalent in the US lately -

Raw Milk - Good luck finding it.
    Undercooked Beef - Beef Tartare
    High Alcohol Beer - That one speaks for itself
    Absinthe - looks like you have that covered
    Junk food in schools
    Mega Soda containers - get a bunch from the 7-11 for everyone to drink out of.

Get everyone jacked up on Four Loko.

Really though, maybe real haggis? A lot of states have bans of selling sheeps lungs.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Oh yeah - and sausage using real casings.

There is a list of banned fruit as long as any other, and I have seen many of these sold in ethnic and farmers markets in cities I have visited. Probably brought into the country by questionable sources, I'm not sure the legal implications if caught in your posssesion. Ackee is one that comes to mind I have seen for sale (and purchased, but was too afraid to try as diabetes runs in my family,) but it was available. Strictly banned by the USDA
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of this. Sure, maybe I can figure out a banned food menu, but actually finding the ingredients... Maybe I can see about some historically banned or forbidden foods instead? I don't know. I'm just having trouble with this one.

Raw Milk!
    Kinder Eggs http://www.squidoo.com/buy-kinder-surprise-eggs
    Ketchup is banned in parts of the EU
    Denmark banned Marmite
    Al Shabob has banned Samosas for being "Too Christian"
    Anything stimulative or depressive has been banned, coffee, energy drinks, liquor, beer, wine, etc.
    Chick Fil A
    You could also do a religious taboo dish using just Pork, Beef and Alcohol, thus alienating Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Buddhists, Jains, Sikhs, Hindus, Bahá’ís, Rastas, and 7th Day Adventists.

+ Reply to Thread