Quantcast
Need help with Forbidden Foods menu - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with Forbidden Foods menu

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem with a lot of this. Sure, maybe I can figure out a banned food menu, but actually finding the ingredients... Maybe I can see about some historically banned or forbidden foods instead? I don't know. I'm just having trouble with this one.
    For the sake of discussion ONLY, you could go the Chinese route and look for shark fin and other rare products (go to Chinese medicine stores), fruits like Durian (available frozen at Chinese markets), fowl like pigeon or something that would be close to Ortolan, vegetables like water spinach (which is banned in some states because it's considered a noxious weed - and a DELICIOUS one at that!), raw milk cheeses and certain cured meats, and, of course, caviar.

Or, just say F it and do 7 courses of foie gras with lots of Alsatian and German Rieslings and Gewurztraminers.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Durian.

oops! this one already posted.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post

Or, just say F it and do 7 courses of foie gras with lots of Alsatian and German Rieslings and Gewurztraminers.
    Where do I have to fly? Can bring some of the wines Add a few truffle dishes so that it doesn't get boring.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Al Shabob has banned Samosas for being "Too Christian"
    Wait. What? I guess I shouldn't expect a lot of sense coming out of Al Shabob, but still, what?

I'd be potentially down with trying an all foie menu, but we'll be cooking for like 40 people, and I ain't made of cash! The current plan, I think, is to roast a few whole lobes, a feat which intimidates me more than a little, and maybe do a small torchon. The somewhat illicit crustaceans might go into an etoufee,

Looks like there isn't any dairy in the area, so no raw milk... Bummer. And while it's a good idea, I think I'd have a problem preparing even a pseudo ortolan or using shark fin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Already planning some Absinthe cocktails, and am going to look into using the father-in-law's still to do some White Lightning. Failing that, there's some pretty good corn whiskey on the market these days, so I'll just pour that stuff into flasks and tell people it's home made
    You could also incorporate the alcohol into a food. I wrote in the Thanksgiving thread that I have been wanting to include alcohol marinated ingredients into sausage. Choose a controversial meat like veal, soak some raisins or orange rind in the alcohol then make sausage that includes that and use natural casings as DeepCSweede mentions.

And don't forget MSG, transfats, margarine, and high fructose corn syrup

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Turtle soup?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.