Quantcast
It's Official - I'm Hooked!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Official - I'm Hooked!

It's Official - I'm Hooked!

Randy, Pierre and Rick...I blame you guys! So, THANK YOU!

I had a really productive day, in the "shop", today. I profiled out two 150mm pettys and got a handle that is LOOONNNG overdue ready to go, except for finish sanding and drilling/mounting the blade and shipping it back to its rightful owner.

For the petty, I went with a shape that I think is fairly unique, but takes elements of my favourites, and puts the together. These are O1 tool steel, and are on the way to Lloydminster to get HT'd

The handle is stabilized lacewood, coral spacer and African blackwood ferrule. The shape is a half octagon, with a rounded bottom. This baby will be going on Avishar's Carter funayuki that he lent me for a long, long time. I'm glad it's finally coming together. I fixed my disc sander and actually got work done!

Here are the pics, and please, let me know what you think of the petty profile and handle. The Carter ho handle might actually be used for one of them, as a temporary finish so I can use the knife right away (once complete). I kinda like the combo, to tell you the truth. Randy taught me a lot of great tricks, and they sure came in handy today.

Thanks for looking!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Looks great Tom! That petty is sweet! Can't wait to see some of these in your shop!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Nice Tom. I like that round bottom handle, seems kinda hard to do?

looks great!

Thanks guys!

Huw, you never know. I'll have to see how my actual grind works, but I would eventually like to throw a McLean made knife in there, from time to time

Mike, the rounded bottom is a series of wrist flicks that Randy showed me and we used on the Western rehandle we did. It's not too bad, actually, and knowing your ability, you'd have it down in about 3 seconds!

Jacob, I didn't realize this until I saw your name pop up, but the petty is the kind of profile you like, isn't it? Now, let's hope once I get them HT'd and then I grind in a taper, and the rest of the geometry that it's close to the kind of knife you like. Fingers crossed!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

yeah, that profile looks really nice. good luck with the HT!

No known cure. No turning back now.

Have fun.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    Nice Tom. I like that round bottom handle, seems kinda hard to do?
    Tom's right, I'm sure you could get that in no time. I've taken some octagon handles and just eliminated the bottom sharp edges with a rasp to get the same effect. It's much more comfortable IMO. You could basically make your octagon handle but have it be a tad oversized, then round the bottom edges and finish up the top.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    No known cure. No turning back now.

Have fun.

Hoss
    Yup, now your hooched! Next thing your gonna let your house chores slip, you will be looking for excuses to go to the shop for "something", your missus will start saying, "It looks like the last one you made, I can't tell them apart" You will learn CA glue is faster than band-aids! Enjoy it brother! It can be a lot of fun, don't stress anything.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I knew it was inevitable Tom!

+ Reply to Thread