It's Official - I'm Hooked!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Randy, Pierre and Rick...I blame you guys! So, THANK YOU! :D

I had a really productive day, in the "shop", today. I profiled out two 150mm pettys and got a handle that is LOOONNNG overdue ready to go, except for finish sanding and drilling/mounting the blade and shipping it back to its rightful owner.

For the petty, I went with a shape that I think is fairly unique, but takes elements of my favourites, and puts the together. These are O1 tool steel, and are on the way to Lloydminster to get HT'd :D

The handle is stabilized lacewood, coral spacer and African blackwood ferrule. The shape is a half octagon, with a rounded bottom. This baby will be going on Avishar's Carter funayuki that he lent me for a long, long time. I'm glad it's finally coming together. I fixed my disc sander and actually got work done!

Here are the pics, and please, let me know what you think of the petty profile and handle. The Carter ho handle might actually be used for one of them, as a temporary finish so I can use the knife right away (once complete). I kinda like the combo, to tell you the truth. Randy taught me a lot of great tricks, and they sure came in handy today. :D

3F686F34-DA1B-4F7F-8748-110010C6D0C3-10933-00000EC5FFBBB06E.jpg

1CA8E1D0-4D74-4CCD-9537-34C0C237880A-10933-00000EC513343038.jpg

4B866C05-5A38-4A2E-9A38-1AFFD1B84279-10933-00000EC553C45C7C.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice Tom. I like that round bottom handle, seems kinda hard to do?

Thanks guys!

Huw, you never know. I'll have to see how my actual grind works, but I would eventually like to throw a McLean made knife in there, from time to time :)

Mike, the rounded bottom is a series of wrist flicks that Randy showed me and we used on the Western rehandle we did. It's not too bad, actually, and knowing your ability, you'd have it down in about 3 seconds!

Jacob, I didn't realize this until I saw your name pop up, but the petty is the kind of profile you like, isn't it? Now, let's hope once I get them HT'd and then I grind in a taper, and the rest of the geometry that it's close to the kind of knife you like. Fingers crossed! :D

yeah, that profile looks really nice. good luck with the HT! :)

No known cure. No turning back now.

Have fun.

Hoss

Nice Tom. I like that round bottom handle, seems kinda hard to do?

Tom's right, I'm sure you could get that in no time. I've taken some octagon handles and just eliminated the bottom sharp edges with a rasp to get the same effect. It's much more comfortable IMO. You could basically make your octagon handle but have it be a tad oversized, then round the bottom edges and finish up the top.

No known cure. No turning back now.

Have fun.

Hoss
Yup, now your hooched! Next thing your gonna let your house chores slip, you will be looking for excuses to go to the shop for "something", your missus will start saying, "It looks like the last one you made, I can't tell them apart" You will learn CA glue is faster than band-aids! Enjoy it brother! It can be a lot of fun, don't stress anything.

Yeah...same here. Man, is it ever fun! I figure this is a good size to try out some "real grinding", before I make a gyuto. Next, I'll profile a parer and a 165-180mm petty. We'll have to see how these turn out :)

I wanted to get your opinions on my first parer profile. It still needs to be HTd, but I wanted an opinion or 20 :D
The DT parer thread made me decide I should post this after all.
Thanks guys

570DD5C4-3C73-4FD7-9E98-600A78B2BD0C-19670-00001B0FC16D3DBC.jpg

Thanks, Rick. The edge length is 92mm, and 17mm at the heel. I do plan on shortening it up to about 85mm for better edge to handle ratio. I also have to drill the pin holes, now that I think about it. :D

Looks solid to me Lefty. Are you going to dedicate these to southpaws?

Looks good to me too.... but it's going to be real hard to put a wa on that funny shaped tang :D

Mike, I don't know how I missed your comment. Haha. I'm sure we can think of something(?) :D

Just a little update (if anyone cares) on my pettys. They're HT'd and I started on one of them. I had it nice and thin BTE, then I held it up to inspect it and I blew out a small portion about an inch in front of the heel. I had to take it back a couple mills and now it's looking pretty fat. Gotta go thin it out all over again. I'm learning a lot from this...Mainly that grinding is frustrating, relaxing and hypnotic all at once...well, that and that I'm pretty sure my neighbors have determined that the firefighter down the street has finally lost his mind.

Latest posts

Back