Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Deba and Petty knives

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

A 120 petty could work for breaking down chicken, a 150 would probably be better, though. Personally I find my 120mm to be a bit too small. Jon at JKI offers a lot of great petty options: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...sc&order=price

I'd recommend the Gengetsu or the Gesshin Ginga in particular. For a first deba I'd definitely go with this: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...te-2-deba.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rtabeek View Post
    Wouldn't use it for cutting through bones. More like removing breast and things like that. Where I work and teach, we bring everything whole and remove what is needed and use the rest for soups, stocks, etc. unless you think otherwise. Would love to know your thoughts on type of knife for breaking down birds. Thanks.
    I would be prefer a not too flexible Western boning knife.

Wouldn't use it for cutting through bones. More like removing breast and things like that. Where I work and teach, we bring everything whole and remove what is needed and use the rest for soups, stocks, etc. unless you think otherwise. Would love to know your thoughts on type of knife for breaking down birds. Thanks.
    Honesuki
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

No need for a deba on chickens - too specialized.

I use a 150 petty or 210 suji + Wusthoff chef's knife for cutting through rib cage. But you can use anything you want... western boning knife, honesuke, petty/suji, etc. I rarely cut the breast of the rib cage, so if you do that often, a boning knife with a bit of a curve at the tip and some flex may be a better option.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Thanks so much for the info. Going to do some research and go from there. Will let you know what I get. Thanks

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.