Has anybody else had a kitayama go soft?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
i've noticed, over the last few months, that my Kitayama is softer and more prone to damage, than it used to be. it still cuts fine, and leaves a nice edge, but a tenacious burr can easily gouge the surface, instead of grinding off or being grabbed. admittedly, i use my Kit different from most, as i use it straight from a 3-4k stone, but still, it was never an issue before. i'm guessing that this is due to magnesia soaking out of the stone, though i've been careful with it. i've had the stone for a couple years, i'd say, and it's been used heavily. i'm still going to use it, but only for edge refinement, as needed, or for touchup: i just bought a Gesshin 8k to replace it for heavy use. has anybody else experienced this issue?

I have had mine for about a year hand have had no issues.

i've noticed, over the last few months, that my Kitayama is softer and more prone to damage, than it used to be. it still cuts fine, and leaves a nice edge, but a tenacious burr can easily gouge the surface, instead of grinding off or being grabbed. admittedly, i use my Kit different from most, as i use it straight from a 3-4k stone, but still, it was never an issue before. i'm guessing that this is due to magnesia soaking out of the stone, though i've been careful with it. i've had the stone for a couple years, i'd say, and it's been used heavily. i'm still going to use it, but only for edge refinement, as needed, or for touchup: i just bought a Gesshin 8k to replace it for heavy use. has anybody else experienced this issue?

for what its worth, the gesshin 8k is soft

I've had the kitayama for over 4 years now. Never had any issue's . Haven't used it much as of late, maybe soaking to much?

i've had a kitayama for years and never had it feel softer than a 10k ss

I might try taking a quarter inch off and see what it's like, then. I've been wanting a faster and toothier solution though, so I think the gesshin was a good snap decision, from what I've read.

i dont want to say anything, but i will be curious to hear what you think when it gets there

Mine is still hard after maybe two years but I've never soaked it and it doesn't get tons of use.

Mine never really got soaked, but its been under running water plenty, and under hot water, by accident, a couple times. I'm hopeful that taking a decent amount of material off will help.

I was just thinking that I have a stone that got really crumbly but I couldn't remember which one it was so I just checked. It's my old 8k SS. The damn thing just falls apart at the edges like the wet sidewalk chalk my kids play with at the mall fountain. I was using it a lot for a while and I think it was getting more and more soaked, esp since the base has a little lip in it.

My SS started to crumble, though not as bad, and I was able to grind it out. Not that I use it much.

I have been considering shellacing my Choseras for this reason and to hopefully prevent any cracking. They are starting to get a bit crumbly on the bottom and sides, the surface that is worn from use is fine, though.

well, i took about an 1/8 of an inch off the Kit, using my trusty extra coarse DMC. the color is much darker than it was, on the surface, and it feels harder. there is some mottling, so i'll take more off tomorrow, but that's a good sign. i am looking forward to comparing the newly darkened Kit to the Gesshin. :)

Latest posts

Back