Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wa Handle Installation - Stefan Handle on A-Type

I like it Is that dyed box elder burl?

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I like it Is that dyed box elder burl?
    yep.

Nicely done! I like te curve on the choil, more would be too much for me.

Stefan

Well done!

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Oh, and a big thanks to Dave for all of his tips. Surely would have screwed it up without him.

And I can see why people talk about the edge retention on the A-types. It was not easy to grind and sand the choil and spine!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

How high of a grit did you take the choil and spine up to?

I rounded the spine on a knife using the method that Maksim uses on one of his videos. I think it's the Yoshikane polishing video. You just use a stone to round the spine. I couldn't think of a good way to hold the knife if I wanted to use sandpaper.
    What do you do for the choil, though? That'd be tough to do on a stone I imagine.

Same as the spine, die grinder + abrasive bit. Then a round file, and a bunch of different sand paper wrapped around a sharpie.

I put the blade between two 1/4" thick poplar boards and put it in a vice for sanding the spine and choil.

Beautiful!

I'm not sure where I was on this, but great job on the rehandle (great work from Stefan too! I really like the handle!).
    I think it was a great idea to hide the machi, as it now looks a lot more professional...just like an a-type SHOULD look!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com