Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most portable and convenient food?

What about fried rice, as Mari says? It tastes good and it very economical. Just keep it in the fridge at school and microwave or eat it cold. Basically make a simple stir fry then put in loads of rice at the end, that's what I do, can make 2 chicken breasts feed about 5 or 6 people. Just make it every 2 or 3 days so you don't have to do much in the mornings. About to do some charity work 1 day a week so these ideas might come in handy to myself as well

Awesome suggestions everyone!

I do have access to a fridge and microwave, which makes things easier. I tend to eat a lot though, so I always have to bring two big meals. I usually finish off a big thing of fried rice or curry rice in a couple days.

I loved eating potstickers for a snack at school; best hot, but still pretty darn good lukewarm/cold.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Japanese RICE BALLs [onigiri or omusubi]!!
    Yes, onigiri is a great option too! Go carb happy and stay away from too much instant food. (i.e. instant noodles) You'll shrivel up like a raisin with that much sodium.

If you have access to fridge and Mic that expands your options considerably - I lived on spaghetti and sauce with meatballs thrown in for several semesters.

Here's one from where I grew up, no better portable food for me. The pepperoni roll.
    The pepperoni roll is a snack popular in West Virginia and some nearby regions of the Appalachian Mountains such as Western Pennsylvania, Western Maryland and Appalachian Ohio. It is ubiquitous in West Virginia, particularly in convenience stores, and is arguably the food most closely associated with the state.
    The classic pepperoni roll consists of a fairly soft white yeast bread roll with pepperoni baked in the middle. During baking, the fats in the pepperoni (which are hard at room temperature) melt, resulting in a spicy oil suffusing into the bread. Pepperoni rolls are typically eaten as a snack or as the main dish of a lunch either unheated or slightly warmed.
    The rolls originated as a lunch option for the coal miners of north-central West Virginia in the first half of the 20th century. Pepperoni rolls do not need to be refrigerated for storage and could readily be packed for lunch by miners.
    The pepperoni roll was invented by Giuseppe "Joseph" Argiro at the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, West Virginia, in 1927.

Engorged Member
    fruit cake
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Yes, onigiri is a great option too!
    I have mixed emotions about those. My Japanese friend always slapped me when I didn't get the shape just right

Stefan

Tuna corn pan.

Name:  tcp1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.6 KB
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Tuna corn pan.

Name:  tcp1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.6 KB
    Ok I am intrigued, tuna corn pan? Please educate me.