Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Petty and what size?

I never buy the Petty....my 165mm santoku, 180mm gyuto or 155mm honesuki have more useful funtion than the Petty!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I use my 180 petty all the time. It's a great size and profile for most at home cutting. Never use it for boning. Eric

I have a stainless 150mm wa-petty as well. It's really great for peeling fruit in my hand I do a lot of peeling this way, and a little wa-petty is an ideal... pulling out stems from strawberries, little dotty things from potatoes, slicing something little is also easy with the knife. But I don't do as much of slicing enough to make it worthwhile for me to purchase a real sujihiki, so I settled with the wa-petty

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I never buy the Petty....my 165mm santoku, 180mm gyuto or 155mm honesuki have more useful funtion than the Petty!!
    You don't think I could do with my 150 or 210 petty anything that you can do with the three knives you listed? Pray tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    You don't think I could do with my 150 or 210 petty anything that you can do with the three knives you listed? Pray tell.
    tk, that is just personal preference. petty's short narrow blade mainly design best for push cut or slice cut for small item. santoku, gyuto & honesuki all can do that parts very well. however, satoku's wider blade make it more easy to chopping food & honesuki's thicker asymmetrical edge doing better job for separate meat from bone. moreover, 180mm gyuto is nimble as petty but with better functionality in my opinion...I just prefere 165 santoku, 180 gyuto & 150 honesuki over 150/180/210 petty...my
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Saying that something has "more useful function" seems like a pretty strong statement to me. A petty has excellent function. If you only have two knives, they should arguably be something small and pointy and something bigger for the larger stuff and greater quantities. If you want to chop, you really want a cleaver, not a a santoku. Now there, is a knife with low functionality. Santokus aren't very wide, they are just not at pointed. Honesukis are unitaskers. Some are thin enough to be more useful but in general they are good for just one thing. How many people sit around and debone meat or break down chickens all the time? The 180 mm gyuto is the same thing as a petty. Some are a little taller or shorter at the heel. Depending on the size of your hand and what it is you are doing, a taller knife can be worse or better. In my kitchen a gyuto gets most of the use and the rest generally goes to a petty. The knives with the most functionality will be relatively thin and pointed. You can give your preference and you can say what you want with impunity but you're presenting your statement as fact.

If I am in no hurry, I much prefer dicing onions with my 150mm petty than my chef knives. I also prefer it for slicing potatoes and mushrooms if I want to be at a nice relaxed and enjoyable pace.

-AJ

tk, excuses me if my posted let you feeling is mislead statement. I'm sorry about that! when we talk about petty, santoku or Honesukis, they all just for small task only. cleaver is way too much if I just want to mince a garlic, chop half of carrot, 1/4 onion or a piece of celery, I will choice a santoku over a petty just for easy chopping & many Honesukis with 50/50, 30/70, 10/90 bevel can cut as good as petty, I don't think Honesukis are unitaskers! that just "my"opinion!
    as far as I know some of chefs think "thick & no pointed" Chinese cleaver have more functionality than " thin and pointed" gyuto! just like I said is all about personal preference!
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Saying that something has "more useful function" seems like a pretty strong statement to me. A petty has excellent function. If you only have two knives, they should arguably be something small and pointy and something bigger for the larger stuff and greater quantities. If you want to chop, you really want a cleaver, not a a santoku........... Honesukis are unitaskers. Some are thin enough to be more useful but in general they are good for just one thing.... The knives with the most functionality will be relatively thin and pointed. You can give your preference and you can say what you want with impunity but you're presenting your statement as fact.

I use petty for a few prep things but mainly it's just my line knife. Small enough to not get in the way and, aside from slicing roasts and what not, it can handle most necessary tasks during service.

I use a 210mm petty/suji on the line for slicing meats. I have a 150mm stainless for things that might be discolored from carbon (shallots for one).