Quantcast
Recommendations for a Yanagiba under $500 and Gyuto under $400
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a Yanagiba under $500 and Gyuto under $400

Recommendations for a Yanagiba under $500 and Gyuto under $400

Hello I was hoping to get some help selecting a 300mm yanagiba. Trying to spend under $500. I am open to recommendations not on my list as well. Price is a factor.

I am considering the following mostly as well as others:

Masamoto 300mm ks/kk ($300 - $360)
    Watanabe 300mm white/blue steel ($415-$500)
    Kejiro Doi 300mm white/blue steel ($430)

I am also looking for a Gyuto 210-240mm. It will be my main workhorse knife. Price under $400. Open to suggestions not on my list.

Watanabe blue steel 210/240mm ($320-$390)
    Masamoto ks 240mm ($325)
    Moritaka Damascus Gyuto 240mm ($360)

If you can provide me with some guidance I will greatly appreciate it, Thank you.

The KS gyuto is a true performer however edge retention isnt great so keep that in mind. Also the gengetsu is pretty decent for a work horse. As far as yangi i cant recommend any.

I would call Jon at jki. Geshin Hide makes an awesone yanagiba. I would also consider mizuno terangi(sp?) white from Koki at JCK. Jon also had a kochi yanagiba w koruchi finish out of v2 that looked amazing. Of course shigefusa makes a great yanagiba.

If you can stand the wait its hard to be shigefusa for a yanagiba.

Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    If you can stand the wait its hard to be shigefusa for a yanagiba.
    Maxim has one in stock at the moment, a bit over $500 though
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Haven't used one, but the Gesshin Hide's look absolutely spectacular--good steel, excellent grinds, good fit & finish. On the other hand, you could try the "make your own" approach out and let us know how it goes: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Fu...YanagibaSeries.

Let us know what you get!

Cant comment of the yanagiba, but I just got the masamoto ks after three years of "thinking" about it and I am truly impressed. I would easily take it over the Moritaka any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Cant comment of the yanagiba, but I just got the masamoto ks after three years of "thinking" about it and I am truly impressed. I would easily take it over the Moritaka any day of the week.
    x2. If I was shopping for a manufactured carbon steel wa-gyuto the KS would be a no-brainer.

I have a Sakai blue #2 300 yanagiba which is beautiful and unused. It was purchased from bluewayjapan on eBay where you can see the original sale. Would be willing to send it to you at considerable discount.

You can then use the savings to get a better guyto

I have a Gesshin Hide and a Doi Keijiro, both are very well crafted blades, couldn't go wrong with either. Suisin would also be worth considering.

For Gyuto, I would avoid Moritaka, though some have had good fine blades from them. I have a Gesshin Ginga and for the past week have been using a Kochi, both are great performers, there are a number of great choices for gyuto.

+ Reply to Thread