Quantcast
Knife roll advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife roll advice

Does ultimate edge bag solve the issue of knives clashing ?

there are enough knife slots to space your knives and flaps that cover and hold knives in place. I would still recommend using sayas on all your knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Does ultimate edge bag solve the issue of knives clashing ?
    full bag, without sayas there will be clashing, with a full bag. But there is enough room that with 7-10 knives there shouldn't be a problem.
    Chewie's the man.

Yes you need saya's or edge guards on all your blades in a bag,otherwise you have a sliced up bag.

I've had two Koobi's and an Ultimate Edge (as of most recent, others prior). I must disagree with the "great quality" comments. I don't find them built to last. If you load an Ultimate Edge down with a dozen knives and sayas, and fill the pockets with tools, AS WAS ITS INTENTION, lug to and from work everyday, open and close it continually; you will be lucky if it lasts a year.

I'd like to find a roll made with seriously heavy duty canvas, and a hard core strap. Zippers, pouches, pockets, etc.. are less important.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I would say the Global is better quality,the pockets are the best & lasted a long time.Good bag if you are just carrying knives.It is a roll bag so it is compact as well.

Trouble is some cooks have to haul more gear,some use metal tool boxes,there are hard case knife boxes as well.I'm partial to bags.

I made a softer leather chisel roll for my Ice carving tools.Made a longer leather to hold long handle chisels,ends of handles sticking out of top.Would put the smaller chisel bag in the larger,& tie off wt.Heavy duty boot laces.

It worked well,was compact,could strap it on the back of my motorcycle,The outer bag took a beating but held up well,I used very heavy duty waxed stiching when I made the bag.Lasted over 25 yrs. of constant use.When I was carving for as many as 7 hotels,during busy season Nov.-Jan. never had a day off doing as many as 30 carvings in a week,plus full time job at Kahala.

Ice buss. went Kaput when Tuna Packers shut down and stopped making 300# blocks of Ice.

Leather and heavy duty canvas is what I'll go for.

How do you start the sayas? I'm thinking of trying to make one. Could you message me
    Respect all Fear none

besides damaging bag and or knife, without sheath is just asking for you to slice the s*** out of yourself,
    pulling a knife out and slip and youre running your hand right along one of those edges.

we should come up with a design and have a good craftsman make one for the KKF ,-leather and canvas gets my vote -

Designing the perfect roll will be a challenge , just because its a very personal choice just like knifes and tools ;still we can design something all together collectively that will fit 90% of the main needs .