Knife roll advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

Its silly question time again.

I have about 9 great knives and i now find the need to occasionally transport them to either cook with or show off !!

Some have sayas but most dont, I need a basic knife roll that will work with the longer knives like my 270 yanagiba and 270 gyuto, my silly question is that it looks like in a knife roll there is contact between the different knives, this doesnt seem like a good thing, am i missing something ?

Could i get a few recommendations for basic rolls from Amazon that will fill my need to transport my set occasionally without any chance of them coming into contact with each other. Expansion upto maybe 15 knives might be prudent !!

Please exvuse my inexperience if i sound dumb on this issue, its beacuse i am !!!

Alan

everything I have seen except from Global's the blades can end up sliding together. The Global's one had only enough room for 7 blades, but if you was to put other blades in it you had a chance of bending the blade. (I did) I got the Ultimate Edge from John, but it has a chance to have the blades connect. It has up 4 flaps filled with slots where you can put your handles in. My 300mm has no problem fitting in it either. Down side is it might be a little over your budget at around 100$. I highly recommend, exp. if you have some very nice knives.

You also can get a custom roll that has a leather cover so when it is rolled up there is no touching of blades.

Having had a few rolls I really don't like them. Most are cheaply made and well are cheap.

Last edited:
I'd keep an eye on ebay. Global rolls seem to come up pretty often. I have one but I'm not overly impressed by it, it needs replaced but I keep spending my money on knives

What are the options if rolls do appear to be damaging

I've got an Ultimate edge , very good case . The advantage it has over rolls is the small footprint it takes up when open. You do need sayas though , for my knives that didn't come with them I fashion my own out foam core and fabric tape ( not pretty but functional ) . The saya on my 300mm yanagiba was a little too long but with 1.5 cm rounded off the tip fits perfectly.

You should think about contacting Steve Goodson. His rolls are very, very well made, and although they are not $25, his pricing seems very reasonable for what you can get.

I would either make or buy sheaths for your knives. You could send your knives to Eamon for sheaths. You could make them out of cardboard and a little tape. Or you could go to an art supply store to buy some 1/8"-ish basswood, some 1/16th" basswood, and some loctite wood glue to make sheaths like these:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9148-First-Friction-Fit-Custom-Saya
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9137-Shibazi-210-Carbon-Cleaver-Re-handle-and-Saya
All I needed were the supplies listed, a rasp, and some sandpaper. That wood is thin enough to cut with a Swiss Army knife.

Nice rehandle on that small carbon cleaver.I used a Global bag at work to keep my good knives in,8 pocket .No room in it for anything but knives.Like the tight weave pockets in Global,instead of loose elastic rims found in most bags.Held 8 knives some wt. Saya's & other's wt. edge guard(I like the Mercer guards wt. flared lip.).It will not hold 8 saya blades,because the saya's are larger on top esp. 270 gyuto.I could fit a small carbon cleaver wt. edge guard.

I was lucky to have a drawer(shared)for sm.whips,spatula's etc.Did not leave knives in drawer because people always borrowing them.

I found out about the Ultimate Edge on this forum & bought it on Amazon.It holds alot,could be useful for someone who needs to carry more gear.I use it for class I teach at KCC,live near the school,so I walk over,nice that it has a shoulder strap.Esp. since it is a little heavy wt. Knives,Cleavers,Diamond plates,Strop,etc.

Plus I think a bag looks cool,I like the cloth patch on it(The Ultimate Edge)What could be better for a knife skills & sharpening class.:cool2:

I own a Ultimate Edge and it's seriously a great bag. There are enough pockets and knife slots to be considered a portable kitchen. Unfortunately I walk several blocks through downtown to and from work and when completely full can weigh up to 20+ pounds and tends to be on the large side. I have Recently been looking for a simple leather knife roll and stumbled upon Jaw leather goods. Hopefully my loved ones get the hint for the holidays!
-Mike

Does ultimate edge bag solve the issue of knives clashing ?

there are enough knife slots to space your knives and flaps that cover and hold knives in place. I would still recommend using sayas on all your knives

Does ultimate edge bag solve the issue of knives clashing ?

full bag, without sayas there will be clashing, with a full bag. But there is enough room that with 7-10 knives there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes you need saya's or edge guards on all your blades in a bag,otherwise you have a sliced up bag.:cry:

I've had two Koobi's and an Ultimate Edge (as of most recent, others prior). I must disagree with the "great quality" comments. I don't find them built to last. If you load an Ultimate Edge down with a dozen knives and sayas, and fill the pockets with tools, AS WAS ITS INTENTION, lug to and from work everyday, open and close it continually; you will be lucky if it lasts a year.

I'd like to find a roll made with seriously heavy duty canvas, and a hard core strap. Zippers, pouches, pockets, etc.. are less important.

I would say the Global is better quality,the pockets are the best & lasted a long time.Good bag if you are just carrying knives.It is a roll bag so it is compact as well.

Trouble is some cooks have to haul more gear,some use metal tool boxes,there are hard case knife boxes as well.I'm partial to bags.

I made a softer leather chisel roll for my Ice carving tools.Made a longer leather to hold long handle chisels,ends of handles sticking out of top.Would put the smaller chisel bag in the larger,& tie off wt.Heavy duty boot laces.

It worked well,was compact,could strap it on the back of my motorcycle,The outer bag took a beating but held up well,I used very heavy duty waxed stiching when I made the bag.Lasted over 25 yrs. of constant use.When I was carving for as many as 7 hotels,during busy season Nov.-Jan. never had a day off doing as many as 30 carvings in a week,plus full time job at Kahala.

Ice buss. went Kaput when Tuna Packers shut down and stopped making 300# blocks of Ice.

How do you start the sayas? I'm thinking of trying to make one. Could you message me

besides damaging bag and or knife, without sheath is just asking for you to slice the s*** out of yourself,
pulling a knife out and slip and youre running your hand right along one of those edges.

we should come up with a design and have a good craftsman make one for the KKF ,-leather and canvas gets my vote -

Designing the perfect roll will be a challenge , just because its a very personal choice just like knifes and tools ;still we can design something all together collectively that will fit 90% of the main needs .

we should come up with a design and have a good craftsman make one for the KKF ,-leather and canvas gets my vote -

Designing the perfect roll will be a challenge , just because its a very personal choice just like knifes and tools ;still we can design something all together collectively that will fit 90% of the main needs .

i agree this would be awesome.

I agree with this I would buy one

I'm corresponding with the JAW guy at the moment because I'm ordering a custom knife roll for myself. If you want to guys when it arrives (I reckon it will be at least a good month and a half though) I'll take pictures and tell everybody how it is. If I'm happy and you guys like what you see we can speak with the JAW guy from then on and come with a more universal design that he can make.

From now I can tell you though that it's going to be mostly a matter of price...maybe this is a topic of a whole new thread but how much are you willing to pay for a good high quality leather and heavy duty canvas knife roll?
Me personally: I will pay the money equivalent of a new good knife if what I'm getting potentially is going to stay for my grandchildren to fight over when I decide to kick the bucket.

I see that the butcher and baker store. Has a canvas and leather roll for 200 dollars. Kind of steep in my opinion

Back