Quantcast
Love Him or Hate Him.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love Him or Hate Him....

I agree. I like the guy, but I love his writing! I'm pretty sure I've read every book he's written. As a side note, if you like his fiction work, check out Victor Gischler. His books have a similar feel, and are more than 108 pages (I don't remember how long "Bone in the Throat" is, but I do remember wishing it was longer...that sounded weird).Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse is a good one to start with, if anyone actually cares.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Who is this fellow?

I enjoyed reading "Kitchen Confidential," and loved most episodes of "No Reservations." Bourdain was the perfect host for a show like that.

I saw him interviewed on CNN the other night, and the host asked him about his "final" meal (menu, chef, location, guests); he said that he would eat a quick, "selfish" meal alone at Jiro Ono's sushi restaurant in Tokyo, which I thought was an interesting answer. (I finally got around to watching "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" last night, and though I'm not a big fan of sushi, I still enjoyed it very much.)

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Who is this fellow?
    Others may have a different perspective from mine....

I see him as a kind of chef's chef. He got involved in the entertainment industry and managed to keep the focus on the food and culture rather than moving products, promoting himself, or dumbing it down (not that none of those happened, just that he kept it to a minimum and off to the side).

I didn't particularly enjoy his show, but I respected what he was doing and how he was doing it. All about the substance.

I recommend a read of his book "Kitchen Confidential"...great read, particularly if you haven't ever been in the food industry. My understanding how how restaurants work was dramatically altered by that book.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    ...Also, he's a Yankees fan and I find that completely unforgivable.
    Other than that, I kinda like the guy.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter