Love Him or Hate Him....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! I like Bourdain and love the fact that he will take this stand.

Good for him! Good to see in todays television age, that a person still has respect for his name and what he stands for, even if it could mean his show/job. Well done!

I love Bourdain and this only solidifies that. I was bummed to see an advert for the final episode of No Reservations. I didn't watch it regularly, but it's far and away more enjoyable than any other traveling food/cooking related show I can think of.

I've always liked Anthony Bourdain. I like him even more, now.

I liked his book "kitchen confidential" but never cared for his show.
This deserves a lot of respect though.

I've always like him. His shows were fun, and he wasn't afraid to say what he thought. Also love his forward in the Nose to Tail cookbook. Wish more people did things his way, and weren't concerned with making a buck above all else.

He's got a good reason to be mad...

I became a fan when I read KC. Then I watched over the years as he embraced the very institutions he used to bash so I fell of his bandwagon.

My issue is, he got in bed with television and now he's upset. I'm guessing he did pretty good those eight seasons and everything that has come from it. However I do agree he should be able to control his "brand".

You sleep with the rats you'll probably get bit.

BTW, I heard that one of his novels, "Bone in the Throat" might be made into a movie.

I do really like his writing style.

I became a fan when I read KC. Then I watched over the years as he embraced the very institutions he used to bash so I fell of his bandwagon.

My issue is, he got in bed with television and now he's upset. I'm guessing he did pretty good those eight seasons and everything that has come from it. However I do agree he should be able to control his "brand".

You sleep with the rats you'll probably get bit.

BTW, I heard that one of his novels, "Bone in the Throat" might be made into a movie.

I do really like his writing style.
+1
I've enjoyed his fiction novels as well. The man has a gift for writing, especially regarding the food industry.
I kind of "fell out of love" after he quit smoking, got married and had a kid. He became waaay less cynical and gruff, and began talking about taking time to "stop and smell the roses" etc. etc. What happened to my grumpy alcoholic chain smoking hero??? He became one of the very people he used to make fun of.
Also, he's a Yankees fan and I find that completely unforgivable.
Still love the guy though, If it weren't for KC, I probably wouldn't still be cooking for a living. It is a "must read" for anyone considering doing this sick job for a living.

I agree. I like the guy, but I love his writing! I'm pretty sure I've read every book he's written. As a side note, if you like his fiction work, check out Victor Gischler. His books have a similar feel, and are more than 108 pages :D (I don't remember how long "Bone in the Throat" is, but I do remember wishing it was longer...that sounded weird).Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse is a good one to start with, if anyone actually cares.

I enjoyed reading "Kitchen Confidential," and loved most episodes of "No Reservations." Bourdain was the perfect host for a show like that.

I saw him interviewed on CNN the other night, and the host asked him about his "final" meal (menu, chef, location, guests); he said that he would eat a quick, "selfish" meal alone at Jiro Ono's sushi restaurant in Tokyo, which I thought was an interesting answer. (I finally got around to watching "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" last night, and though I'm not a big fan of sushi, I still enjoyed it very much.)

Who is this fellow?

Others may have a different perspective from mine....

I see him as a kind of chef's chef. He got involved in the entertainment industry and managed to keep the focus on the food and culture rather than moving products, promoting himself, or dumbing it down (not that none of those happened, just that he kept it to a minimum and off to the side).

I didn't particularly enjoy his show, but I respected what he was doing and how he was doing it. All about the substance.

:2cents:

I recommend a read of his book "Kitchen Confidential"...great read, particularly if you haven't ever been in the food industry. My understanding how how restaurants work was dramatically altered by that book.

Back