Convex edges and bevels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVoye

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YWxOb33O0&feature=plcp
So relatively new to sharpening but I'm comfortable producing a decent primary and secondary bevel that's for the most part even and sharp. After watching this vid though I'm in interested in this convex edge and bevel blending. For starters-is this convex blending recommended for most gyuto knives?
I understand it adds overall strength to the edge and blends the edges and bevels together. In the vid he seems as though he starts this technique on the 12k stone at a angle so low he seems to be hitting the entire side of the blade for the most part. Then applying that same technique with the other stones as well polishing the entire blade.
When going that low what does the final product look like? Any additional insight and/or pics of knives (Japanese double bevel) would be much appreciated.
I feel as though at this point I'm not sure what correct or should be applied to what knife (situational) should be. When initially learning I would have never blended the secondary (thinning edge) bevel into the side of the knife as I was trying to be careful and cautious not to scratch the side of the knife. This video shows a technique that doesn't care about that rule for the sake of performance and strength (which is what I'm after). I want to try this technique just trying to gather any additional info about it first. Thanks.

FWIW, this was not my best video. My newer ones describe these things much better while showing better technique.

Its really not necessary. It becomes convenient when doing thinning (aesthetically), and some people prefer that style of sharpening, but its not necessary at all.

I thought I was slightly thinning my blade upon arrival from the factory but I don't think I've gone high enough. I'd like to learn about this technique especially when correlating to thinning. Have any links to a video that explains about this a little more? thanks.

no problem... feel free to bug me if you have any questions. Also, i'm sure many others here would be happy to help.

Back