Japanese Irezumi (Tatoo) Punishment....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara@JKI

Reaction score
551b686f630c7ba1cb70744a54ddf268.jpg

... With a modern technology, we can erase tatoo with laser, but back in Edo (around 2003-1867) Japan, not so much... I wonder what happened if it turned out to be an wrong persecution. scary.

It explains the different types of tatoo used for various crimes. There were also regional differences. For instance, the second from right is for fighting, and one right from it is thievery. One on the left shows three progression.. first offense will be just "一", then second time one more line will be added, and then finally for the third offence one more line is added to complete the irezumi that says "犬" (dog)... i think it's hilarious.

thanks for the translation...very interesting!

I think it's funny that all the faces look pretty miserable and little evil

The top right one kinda suits the guy. I bet he got his in Vegas.

Do you really think you may read one's merits or crimes from one' face? That is exactly where these signs were for. Cf. the mark upon Kain.

LOL Thats hilarious and would really suck to have "Dog" written on your forehead.

i know.... the best deterrent (warning?) ever. I wonder if someone with "dog" on his/her forehead was literally treated as a real dog :( that must suck, yes.

I know what I'm going to do to the knife sharpening apprentice if he ever falls asleep in my presence... hehehehe. ::gets sharpie::

great idea. in fact I'll start doing so also.... maybe with a real japanese brush and ink (it seems a little more messier and troubling that way)

What is exactly the offense that requires such a punishment? To fall asleep, or to sleep in your presence?

He used to be a bully when we were younger... Now that we're older, its the other way around. :D

He used to be a bully when we were younger... Now that we're older, its the other way around. :D

I remember, you when you were younger in the store and it seemed to me, then that you weren't an angel when it came to Vincent. you little trouble maker.

This Vincent must be a very nice guy in fact...

Vincent is a super nice guy. One of the nicest I know, but him and another coworker are like my brothers since we were raised together. What a terrible sister I would be if I didn't poke fun or pull pranks on them every now and then to remind them of my love. ::snickers:: :D

Back