Quantcast
Gyuto Showdown - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gyuto Showdown

Are you oriented what thickness, height, weight, balance point you want, what handle style?

If you think about that, it might be little easier to pick one blade up.
    Whichever shop would you like to choose from the vendors we have here, on the forums, and whatever brand you will get a nice blade anyway.

And the Hiromoto is for sure not the best choice. Its just kind of mediocre. I personally dont enjoy the steel or the grind, it is a workhorse.

I'd still go with the Hiromoto and the performance package. You won't be anything but elated with the blade.

That performance package really does seem to elevate that blade

KAGAYAKI is on sale atm, and with their ES (extra sharpness) package its only 140 bucks. roughly 50 bucks off. I am also looking for a good first knife, home cook, pinch grip most of the time, novice sharpening, would this be a good deal while the sale is on?

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KA...extSeries.html

Really like the carbonext but I was disappointed with the extra sharp service.If your sharpening skills are decent,sharpen it yourself.

well my sharpening skills arent too good, at least not yet, and with it only being 12 dollars to have them do, i'd assume they will do a better job than i would lol

"posting again since the edit button seems to have disappeared while I'm on my phone"

I am torn on going with the 240 or 210. I've never used a 240 and I've always been happy with the 8 inches knives I've used at home before. Not a huge price difference but I don't know what I'd prefer. My block is a 20" square so i can manage either size.

Or. Two other options here, anyone's opinion on these two?

http://www.sliceandsear.com/moritaka...ife-9-5-240mm/

http://www.knifewear.com/knife-family.asp?family=18

Two other carbon based options, damn so many lol

Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread but at least it is about gyoto blades :-)

2 opinions,
    1) 240 will be comfortable to use and at least over time you will enjoy it likely more than the 210
    2) run away from the Moritaka...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    1) 240 will be comfortable to use and at least over time you will enjoy it likely more than the 210
    +1 & if you decide to upgrade your knife in future; 240mm is more easy to sale.......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!