Quantcast
New to Sharpening, New Knife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Sharpening, New Knife

New to Sharpening, New Knife

Hi,
    I recently found this forum and have been learning lots about knives, and admiring some of your collections. I work in a fast-paced kitchen and wanted to upgrade my knife care knowledge and get something that fit me well. I'd love to eventually get something made in America, but see how expensive those can be and rare too. For now i've invested in a Robert Herder Lingnum 3 HRC 60 Santoku knife, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Rober...1&tx=135&ty=92
    I've somewhat invested in a knife, and want, also, to be able to sharpen it myself. I understand the preference for stones, and am starting to get technique from the JKI videos. Are there some good middle of the line stones I'd benefit from learning on that will last a while, and keep my knife sharp. I've been considering the Rika 5000 and the Bester 1200 as were suggested to another newb. I've noticed 3 different grits are often recommended? I also see references to "stone flattening" but don't understand what that is or how you do it. I'm guessing that involves another special piece of equipment? Anything else to consider?
    Thanks for your help. I've enjoyed learning about the tools I use daily!

I'm quite sure you will enjoy your Lignum 3! One of my favourites, but it seemed to me it was almost unknown by the American public.
    3 stones? Yes, you may add a coarse stone for reprofiling and chip repair. For incidental use you may replace it by sandpaper in the P320-700 range.
    An added intermediate stone between the 1.2k and 5k is possible but all but necessary. Especially with the finely grained steel of the Lignum 3 you will probably prefer a somewhat toothy edge, and avoid a very polished one.
    Stone flattening: a lot of people use diamond plates to keep the stone flat, avoid dishing and ease the edges. Most new stones do not come entirely flat and need the removal of a small layer of 'crust' that hides active particles. Instead of a diamond plate you may use sandpaper on a piece of glass as well, but it's a little messy.

also, i put up a video on flattening in my sharpening playlist, so if you're looking at those videos anyways, check that one out to see how it is done

Thanks. I think i'll go with those stones then and keep watching J's videos!

Quote Originally Posted by pignolius View Post
    Thanks. I think i'll go with those stones then and keep watching J's videos!
    Good both choices.

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

As you use your stones , you will remove material from the stone and create a hollow. You can't produce an exact edge without a flat stone. From time to time, it's wise to use one of the methods suggested on this forum for flattening your stones before sharpening. I sharpen a lot of knives , I flatten my stones often. If you are only sharpening your own knife, probably not often at all.

Thanks for the advice. My robert herder knife finally arrived from the Netherlands and i'm very happy with it so far. It is light and small - perfect for chopping fresh herbs quickly and evenly. Stones on the way and i'll be sure to practice on some old stainless steel home kitchen knives first.

Good stuff.

Welcome to the forum!

So much knowledge on this forum and the members are the nicest around.