Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedging Takeda

i've thinned shoulders of my knives with some decent success. it's not so hard. you just gotta do it sometimes, specially for me where noone in my country can do it for me. had to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    To improve performance on your Takeda, you got to thin it at the "shoulders" and blend the transition into the rest of the blade, as that is where it wedges.

Even a thinly ground knife with bevels like on your Takeda will wedge.

By "shoulders" do you mean just above the bevel or just below the spine or at the top of the "shinogi line"?

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    By "shoulders" do you mean just above the bevel or just below the spine or at the top of the "shinogi line"?
    Where the face of the knife meets the bevel, the shinogi line. Drop the angle lower and raise the shinogi line, make a less pronounced shoulder, the bevel would get wider.

Wow that is a pretty sharp transition from bevel to the flats (beer negates proper terms). Softening of that angle will help, Dave's services or taking this on yourself will greatly improve that blade.

That said having a robust edge is not always a bad thing, just depends on what you want the knife to do...

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Where the face of the knife meets the bevel, the shinogi line. Drop the angle lower and raise the shinogi line, make a less pronounced shoulder, the bevel would get wider.
    thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the advice! I actually took matters into my own hands and had success raising the shinogi line and blending the face of the knife into the bevel. WOW! what a difference!

Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by miketayl0r View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I actually took matters into my own hands and had success raising the shinogi line and blending the face of the knife into the bevel. WOW! what a difference!
    Congratulations! My skills are very meager, but every time I am successful with something like this it's a really nice feeling of accomplishment.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Cool Mike, I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. I'd keep working on it over time and you'll still see even more improvement.

Any chance of before and after pictures?