Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing first Carbon Steel Knife

Help choosing first Carbon Steel Knife

Hello everybody

I'm on the market to buy my first carbon knife, I've been hesitant because of their high maintenance and rather high price, but as I began sharpening with stones i wanted to try the easier sharpening a carbon knife provides, and also want a traditional Japanese style knife. As I am from Portugal it´s harder to find a place that sells them, but japanesechefknife.com is a good option for me because I wont pay customs, so maybe i would be buying from them, I also know a german site that sells Zakuri. I hope you can help me with my choice.

Portugal

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in?
    Santoku, Funayuki or maybe even a Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
    Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle or Japanese handle?
    Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    165/170mm

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    100 dollars, if less even better

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    home

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Push-cut, rock

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    A carbon knife, easy to sharp.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
    Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives?
    Yes

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Tadafusa seems to be a respected brand sold by several reputable vendors, at or below your price point. This vendor is in Hawaii but it is an example of the type of knife you're after:

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...eel-bl165.html

Besides the Misono Swedish Carbon series and the entry level Fujiwara FKH japanesechefsknife.com carries the Masahiro Virgin Carbon, without advertising them, though. Price level around $85 for the 180mm gyuto or santoku during sales, free shipping. Steel is slightly harder than Misono's, but don't expect their exceptional level of Fit&Finish. Send an email to Mr Iwahara, Koki@kencrest.us
    Or have the Misono for $100. The Misono will require a bit more work out of the box, as it leaves factory with a weak and overly convexed edge. No big deal as it sharpens so easily.

The fujiwara is at a great price although it has a western style, i would prefer japanese style, but it's a matter to think, and how is the Masahiro Virgin Carbon compared to the other white or blue steels?

What do you think of the special line by JCK Blue Moon http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SP...html#Specials? they are at a good price and very nice looking.

They look good to me + shipping to Portugal might be better with JCK. A Santoku if you want a taller blade or a 210mm Gyuto are both more versatile than a Nakiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrukk View Post
    What do you think of the special line by JCK Blue Moon http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SP...html#Specials? they are at a good price and very nice looking.
    Same knife as the tadafusa it appears

You can get from tosa-hocho.de Zakuri funayuki 165mm for about 80 euro. That would be my first choice since you are in EU. In fact I bought one in 135 size for a friend when she was starting to learn sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    You can get from tosa-hocho.de Zakuri funayuki 165mm for about 80 euro. That would be my first choice since you are in EU. In fact I bought one in 135 size for a friend when she was starting to learn sharpening.
    How does it work to make the order, payment? the site is all in german, I guess we have to order by mail. What about the other less expensive knives less from tosa-hocho?

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    They look good to me + shipping to Portugal might be better with JCK. A Santoku if you want a taller blade or a 210mm Gyuto are both more versatile than a Nakiri.
    It seems they´re the same as the Tadafusa, it says the blade is sandwiched with soft stainless steel, is this good? or is it better the blade to be totally in the carbon steel?

sorry for all the questions, i am a novice in carbon knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrukk View Post
    How does it work to make the order, payment? the site is all in german, I guess we have to order by mail. What about the other less expensive knives less from tosa-hocho?
    Yes, you have to send him an email (I am not sure he speaks english, but I could help you there, you do not need to write much - PM me if you decide to go that route so that we can take it offline). His less expensive knives will have more rustic F&F, but should still be OK knives. I do not have personal experience there.