Quantcast
Canadian Newbie Here :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Newbie Here :)

Canadian Newbie Here :)

Hello all, a friend of mine directed me to this site as I am in the market to get a new knife and replace many of the common supermarket blades. I am an RN here in BC so as much as i would love to steal multiple scalpels and take them in to my kitchen, don't think it would be a good idea

With that said, both my wife and I are big foodies and cook all the time, cooking and the kitchen as two major components of my life. My wife is 10 weeks pregnant now so she has told me to buy the knife I have been yearning for before the baby comes and we change focus lol.

I am looking for something in the 200-250ish range in cost, and plan on using it for basically everything in the kitchen. I have a few Shun knifes from a sale on amazon a while back (90 bucks for the paring knife and utility knife shipped so couldnt say no) but I have my reservations about going to their 8 inch chefs knife despite being marked down to 180 as the ken onion line is no longer going to be made.

I do not have any reservations on using any one knife or another, but I really want a solid knife that will be with me for a long time. I have reasonable skills with a steel and also stone for sharpening, but I WOULD LOVE some guidance because after looking through this site (and being impressed) i find myself a little overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance for your time, cheers

Rich
    aka Notaskinnychef

Are you in Vancouver? If so there are a couple place worth checking out in the city and testing a few to get a feel for what exactly you want/need.

Welcome

I am in Victoria, and don't actually make it over to Van too often, altho I am sure the market would be much better there, but at least the shipping would be reasonable to get it here from one of their retailers

Welcome to the forum. These guys have a lot of knowledge and will be able to guide you in the right direction. Let us know what you end up getting!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I certainly will. I am excited to learn from the wealth of knowledge here. Also really nice to see vendors and enthusiasts alike here, not all forums have such layouts so it's good to see.

I am not an uber chef nerd or anything, but have some bigger hands (as my name might imply lol) so want something that I can pretty much use for 95% of my kitchen needs without having to sharpen it all the time. I am down for suggestions in the 240mm range

Welcome welcome!

So for a knife that will last you a long time... I presume that you're looking for a chef's knife or gyuto. Do you have a preference/requirement for stainless over carbon? Or does the middle-ground appeal to you, stainless-clad carbon? Do you rock-chop with the knife in contact with the board most of the time or do you lift off most of the time to cut your food?

And... do you want something that looks fancier or is a utilitarian look perfectly fine?
    Len

Welcome!!
    Taylor

I'd let others like echerub above guide you with the knife, but I'd recommend buying a gyuto within the range you'd mentioned and then adding some to that (yes, you knew that was coming) and buying a medium-fine combo sharpening stone (not really expensive) to keep 'er going.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Welcome

+ Reply to Thread