• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Winter Knife Sale!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
If I don't do this now, I probably won't ever, so here it goes. I sadly need to sell off some knives to raise some funds. A combination of NYC costing more than anticipated, Hurricane Sandy (didn't get hit too bad, but still some non-trivial unexpected costs), and a recent payment snafu where my employer paid me someone else's wage plus my own and needs to claw it back… after I used the funds to pay off a credit card… Yeah. This is a necessary sale, but hurts like a mother. Selling off my nicer knives, as they are the ones I seem not to reach for that much. I usually turn to my work-a-day knives.

Note: Can't do paypal, check or Amazon Payments please. Shipping to CONUS included. By more than one, get a $5 discount on each subsequent knife. Pics will come tonight.

1.) Del Ealy 240mm Gyuto in 01 - $400
Great knife, fantastic cutter. Hasn't been used and abused all that much. I won't go into too much detail, as most people that would be interested already know what they're getting with these guys. Great knife.

2.) 240mm Zakuri Special Edition Gyuto - Super Blue - $265
Same as the one here. Thicker, rustic-style knife, with great geometry. Barely used, never sharpened. Great knife.

3.) 270mm Zakuri Special Edition Sujihiki - Super Blue - $270
Same as the one here. Again, barely used, never sharpened. Beautiful handle, cuts great. There's a reason I have had so many Zakuri's and invested in the Special Editions. These guys make awesome blades.

4.) Takeda Banno-bunkabocho w/ Andy Handle - $250
This is a great little knife. My very first Takeda and my first custom handle. Still one of the nicer ones I own, in fact. I feel guilty about selling it, but I don't use it that often and hopefully someone will use it and appreciate it more.

5.) 240mm Ginga Gyuto w/ saya and Dave Handle - $275
This is another great knife, that I really wish I could hand onto. It's a fun cutter and right in the sweet spot of not too thick and not too skinny. Dave did a great job on the handle. Some light scratches on the blade from a rather tight-fitting saya, but this guy is meant to be used. I'm selling this guy for exactly what I'm in it for, which is actually barely above what one w/o custom handle costs new. It's a steal guys. Jump on it.

6.) Fowler 265mm Gyuto - $270
Nice fowler. Quite tall, nice edge profile. Needs to be thinned behind the edge imo, a project I never got around to, but all-in-all a great knife. Not sure what these go for now-a-days, but I got it during one of Stefan's sales, at a discount, and this is even below that.

7.) 300mm Hiro AS w/ saya- $180
Great knife, too long for me to use frequently, though, so it's for sale here. Previous owner went through a lot of work to thin it and it shows. Great knife, will be sad to see it go. (Note: the knife cuts great, but is also very effective in scaring the crap out of any guests you might have over. It's a super-duper big knife.)

BUT WAIT! There's more! In the more affordable realm:

8.) Suien VC Cleaver - $80
Used, funky patina, great cutter, good price. Enough said.

9.) Watanabe Santoku w/ custom handle - $75
Oh man, this one hurts. I think this was one of mhenry's projects maybe? The more knives I get, the harder it is to keep their backstory's straight. My one and only Watanabe. Started life as a KU blade, but the KU has long faded. Even so, it's a good cutter with good steel and a custom handle for under a $100 bucks….

I've got a 10.) lined up, but I don't want to list it unless I really really have to. So this is it for now. Ping me with any questions you've got and once again, pics will go up tonight.

Thanks for looking!
Ben

Dibs called on Watanabe.

Should have specified that the Hiro AS is the Wa and not the western.

Dibs also called on Suji.

For clarity, "Dibs" isn't necessarily SPF, it's just "dibs" since I don't have any photos yet. :( Real sorry about that guys. I only just found out about that whole Payment snafu thing which is really what prompted this sale...

Ah, who am I kidding. I've always been a camera-phobe and photography-illiterate.

The Zakuri's are calling my name... I can hear them...

They and the Watanabes are POPULAR! Wow.

Alright, so multiple dibs have been called on the Zakuri Suji, Gyuto and the Del Gyuto.

Hiro AS is Wa and a Gyuto, NEITHER of which I seemed to specify (d'oh!) and also has had dibs called.

Thanks for looking!
Ben

Hey Rick,

Yep! That's the one! You'll need to imagine light scratches on the side from sliding in and out of the saya, but that's the guy! You have GOT to love Dave's handles. They are amazing. Thanks for the link and hookup!

And I was able to dig up an old photo of the Banno. The handle is amboyna, blackwood, and bloodwood. The bloodwood is a LOT darker now, so I'll be sure to get updated photos up tonight.

Thanks for looking!
Ben

Sorry. It's free again guys.

Somewhere along they way I think my super subscription or whatever lapsed and I wasn't deleting emails as I was going.

Interested in the fowler. And the takeda..

Also,
Put me in line for the 300mm hiro if it becomes available. Thanks!

Hi pleue,

Looks like I'm not able to send you a PM, so I hope you don't mind me replying in-thread.

I'll make sure to send you pics for all three later this evening.

You've got first dibs on the Takeda and the Fowler.
The Hiro has a bit of a line, but I'll put you down as fourth dibs. I'll be sure to keep you posted for how it goes.

Thanks!
Ben

Zakuri 's gyuto &suji so tempting........
I'm curious what is your 10.)??

Well, I've got a target I need to raise. There are a few I didn't want to sell, but the one I was thinking of was only if I were really far short still.

This is odd. I really hesitate to even type it... I guess I don't want to tempt fate maybe... ?

Rader Mid-tech. I don't think he did anything else with this line, but this was one of the first five, and, for all intents and purposes, was pretty much done by Michael himself minus, I think, the handle. It's great steel, great Geometry, beautiful, and feels like a natural extension of my arm. I think it was an absolute steal at the price I paid for it given what it is, but would be forced by my own conscience to list it for that same amount, despite knowing I'd never be able to replace it for that amount of money.

And if by stating this here I have somehow jinxed the rest of the sale causing me to have to list it... well you and me will officially have beef mister!! :viking:

:wink:

Well, I've got a target I need to raise. There are a few I didn't want to sell, but the one I was thinking of was only if I were really far short still.

This is odd. I really hesitate to even type it... I guess I don't want to tempt fate maybe... ?

Rader Mid-tech. I don't think he did anything else with this line, but this was one of the first five, and, for all intents and purposes, was pretty much done by Michael himself minus, I think, the handle. It's great steel, great Geometry, beautiful, and feels like a natural extension of my arm. I think it was an absolute steal at the price I paid for it given what it is, but would be forced by my own conscience to list it for that same amount, despite knowing I'd never be able to replace it for that amount of money.

And if by stating this here I have somehow jinxed the rest of the sale causing me to have to list it... well you and me will officially have beef mister!! :viking:

:wink:
There's nothing wrong with listing it for more than you bought it unless it's some kinda pay-it-forward thing.

Neh. I just feel bad about it. If you're making money off it, it ain't a hobby. I don't know. Just doesn't seem right. Besides, if I agree to raise the price, i'll have one less reason to not list it!

Pics coming soon guys. I just need to upload them and make a Picasa gallery. 10 minutes and it will be up!

Alright, so I snapped some quick pics of everybody altogether just to get something out there. a link to a public picasa album is below. After I finish up dinner and some work, I can check back to see about some better photos of some of hte individual knives. Sorry this is so late. It's been a REALLY long day.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1168...s/5811215407678229745?authkey=CLP_75zpzuSv7gE

The following people have called dibs on knives. if you called dibs and don't see your name, let me know.

echerub, samuelpeter, pitonboy, CanadianMan, tk59, skiajl6297, tk59, pleue, pitonboy, Vertigo, pleue, Colorado_cutter, rshu, pete84, berko, rshu, pleue, ecchef

Thanks for looking!
Ben

Alright. So, the suji is officially SPF!

There's a LOT of emails about the Suien. No it's not sold yet, but there's an enormous dibs line. Feel free to PT me about it, I just don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Neh. I just feel bad about it. If you're making money off it, it ain't a hobby. I don't know. Just doesn't seem right. Besides, if I agree to raise the price, i'll have one less reason to not list
good for you:lol2:
Well, I've got a target I need to raise. ...................Rader Mid-tech

congratulation!:doublethumbsup:.......I would like to see the pics of Rader Mid-tech:)

Ben are you really going to sell the Rader?? I have one of his customs now and i still miss that knife. I didn't go through all the posts so i am not sure if you are actually selling it, but if you are let me know!!

Mike

Ben are you really going to sell the Rader?? I have one of his customs now and i still miss that knife. I didn't go through all the posts so i am not sure if you are actually selling it, but if you are let me know!!

Mike

The goal is to not too. It's a backup knife in case nothing else sells. Although, once I got home I remembered a whole lot of other knives that I had as well (a few Miyabis, a Takayuki Hammered Nakiri, misono swedish 210, Ray Rogers Nakiri) ALL of which I will sell before ever selling the Rader. So in answer to your question, no I'm not intending to sell it, however, never say never, but if I do a whole lot of other stuff will come first.

congratulation!:doublethumbsup:.......I would like to see the pics of Rader Mid-tech:)

Sure. I'll probably need to take some followup pics of some of the knives for sale. I can snap a few of the Rader at the same time. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever done a knife gallery here. Might be worth doing once before I officially break up the band...

yes! please do so, that will open my eye!!:bigeek:

Sure. I'll probably need to take some followup pics of some of the knives for sale. I can snap a few of the Rader at the same time. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever done a knife gallery here. Might be worth doing once before I officially break up the band...

Zakuri Gyuto also SPF

Ginga is available with no line. I should hear back on most others soon.

Thanks!
Ben

Latest posts

Back