Quantcast
Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos

Why spend so much on a knife that wasn't given any attention to detail?
    I like Carter, but those knives bug me at many levels.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Konosuke 270, great knife, the only white #2 gyuto I have (fwiw the Tadatsuna white should be very similar).
    Right on...I'll add Sakai Yusuke as well.

I own a konosuke fujiyama white #1 gyuto and a carter ip white one gyuto, completely different knives, both great knives, both not affordable, I search a lot for white 1 gyuto

there are very very, and not many I would call affordable, but.... you never know, as another thread here mentioned, many times you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Why spend so much on a knife that wasn't given any attention to detail?
    I like Carter, but those knives bug me at many levels.
    I think that's going way overboard. The handle is bad. The handle on many, of not most, very expensive Japanese knives aren't much better stock. The blades themselves are very, very good, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has handled them to argue otherwise. I know Carter has a bad rap with some of you guys, but were talking about a ABS mastersmith generating handforged blades in smallish but reasonable size for less than $400. That's a hell of a deal, in my book, regardless of what you think about the handle. Right now he has a 180 nakiri on his site, high grade series, polished blade, ho handle with buffalo horn ferrule that looks just as good as what one would expect from any of the good Japanese makers, for $360. Find another ABS mastersmith that you could pick up a knife like that if you wanted it at that price TONIGHT. He has a short funayuki available now for less than $175! I think the Carter distaste is way overstated by a lot of you guys.

Thus far, I can get white #2 stupidly sharper than the others steels I’ve tried and have read that white #1 get’s even more stupidly sharp w/ better retention. Supposedly, #1 is much harder to work with than #2, so the smiths and knives are likely going to be more higher end. You might want to reach out to Jbroida @JapaneseKnifeImports, iirc he's a big fan of white #1 and may have some insights.

Uglyjoe,
    I like Carter's "finished" knives quite a bit and he's a big part of why I only sharpen on two/sometimes three grits. I love that he has let us know that we don't need five stones before stropping, assuming you have a stable edge, to have a wicked sharp knife.
    In my opinion, he should just sell unhandled rat tail blades (for us to put our own handles on), or his fully finished, breath taking pieces he is capable of.
    I would love to own a Carter one day...besides, he's Canadian....
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    AS is super blue.
    Thanks for clearing that up! I actually did not know that, or ever make that connection. I thought they were different.

Just to further explain myself, I have NO PROBLEM, whatsoever with this...in fact I like it...a lot!
    http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...lo-horn-handle
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Uglyjoe,
    I like Carter's "finished" knives quite a bit and he's a big part of why I only sharpen on two/sometimes three grits. I love that he has let us know that we don't need five stones before stropping, assuming you have a stable edge, to have a wicked sharp knife.
    In my opinion, he should just sell unhandled rat tail blades (for us to put our own handles on), or his fully finished, breath taking pieces he is capable of.
    I would love to own a Carter one day...besides, he's Canadian....
    The handles on the SFGZ and KU series knives are just burned in and come off easily. So, you're almost buying an unhandled blade. Considering what the plain handles cost, you might save $5.

On the other hand, the handles on the HG knives are glued/epoxied on and are much more difficult to remove. But the handles are of much better quality.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Masamoto does great things with White #2. I'm not thrilled about having put mine up for sale. They aren't, however, at the lower end of the price spectrum, so maybe not your cup of tea.