Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos

It has always been my understanding that the Japanese don't consider the handle on their kitchen knives that important. It is just something you hold on to while using what hopefully is a finely crafted blade. I also think if Murray only offered rat tailed blades his sales at knife shows to the general public would go down to about zero. That said, I own maybe a dozen Carters and almost all of them have had the handle come off at one time or another. A little bit of super glue and back they go to the block.

Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    It has always been my understanding that the Japanese don't consider the handle on their kitchen knives that important. It is just something you hold on to while using what hopefully is a finely crafted blade. I also think if Murray only offered rat tailed blades his sales at knife shows to the general public would go down to about zero. That said, I own maybe a dozen Carters and almost all of them have had the handle come off at one time or another. A little bit of super glue and back they go to the block.
    I was/am considering breaking the bank and getting a custom Carter but that last part about all of your Carters' knives having the handle come off at one time or another really bothers me.

A custom will have epoxy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I'm talking about the lower end "working" grade Carters. The higher end ones have the blade glued/epoxied into the handles. I have both and the higher grade knives have never been a problem. Not sure that is really traditional Japanese though.

Delete
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The tang normally burns its way into the handle, in old school j-knives.
    Once again, let's not doubt Carter or his high end blades. The guy makes a mean knife and I would love to own one. However, the "low-end" $200+ knives still bug me.
    I would put money on being more than pleased with a custom or pro series, though.
    09/06

Lefty,
    You probably need to understand I haven't bought very many Carters in the last decade or so. Not since he emigrated to the U.S. at least. Looking at my block, I see one. The prices weren't that high way back when for the working grade knives. But then, anyone on this forum has a different definition of "high" than the avenge kitchen knife user.

I bet the old Carters are pretty cool! You should post some pics of them!
    09/06

i have had MANY MANY carters.....from almost all of his lines.....i would never get a high end blade formmurray today witha handle....i would have someone else make it for me.....i have had too many problems with them......ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !