Quantcast
Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos

Top 5 affordable White Steel #1 gyutos

Ever since stumbling across a forum discussion about the virtues of white steel #1, I've been looking for a white steel #1 gyuto that 1) not too expensive and 2) is not too thick.

I can't find one. The one's I've seen are very expensive. Hence my question,

What are the Top 5 most affordable white steel #1 gyutos?

(I know affordable is relative, I mean something priced at the lower end of the scale for white steel #1 gyutos)

I think Konosuke makes a white #1 gyuto under their premium Fujiwara line. Price wise, Konosuke's tend to be great value so shouldn't be shockingly more expensive than the standard white #2.

Any reason why you are looking for white#1 instead of the much more common/available/offered white#2?

Here's a great breakdown of steels used in Japanese kithcen knives.

The Sakai Yusuke white steel wa-gyuto from Blue Way Japan is a good value for white #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounce View Post
    What are the Top 5 most affordable white steel #1 gyutos?
    Carter uses white #1 in his clad knives SFGZ and High Grade (the ones marked with a "W" on the blade, the other ones are AS) . Great cutters but are they affordable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    Carter uses white #1 in his clad knives SFGZ and High Grade (the ones marked with a "W" on the blade, the other ones are AS) . Great cutters but are they affordable?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Carter uses AS steel. True the W on his blade is for white #1, but the S on his blade designates Super ie. Blue steel right?

AS is super blue.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Any reason why you are looking for white#1 instead of the much more common/available/offered white#2?

Thanks everyone.

I'm new to this, and the only reason I'm looking for white #1 is the enthusiasm of a number of people on knifeforums.com on how "retarded sharp" white #1 can get.

If you feel that white #2 is fairly close to white #1 in how "retarded sharp" it comes off the stones, perhaps I can modify the original question:

"What are your 5 favorite White #2 gyutos under $300 ? "

Quote Originally Posted by Flounce View Post
    "What are your 5 favorite White #2 gyutos under $300 ? "
    Konosuke 270, great knife, the only white #2 gyuto I have (fwiw the Tadatsuna white should be very similar).

If you like white and are willing to go shorter, the carter SFGZ series is a good knife with a ****** handle. A funayuki at abut 210 shouldn't run much more than $300-350 in this line. Maybe less.