Shun facelift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
so today at work i was using my shun, i noticed 1 of two things. 1 the non-rounded spine hurts after long use and makes my calluses come back, as well as it was wedging pretty badly on almost anything.

i took a look at it and it was pretty thick, keep in mind ive had this knife for 3 almost 4 years, its almost short enough to be called a suji.

When i got home i decided to see if i could give it a make over. I took 220 grit sandpaper to the spine and up to about 800 to round it off, took a little while but much better i should have done that years ago!

i also spent some time thinning it down and enhancing the grind, i have a hand grinder so i used that with 400 grit sandpaper to remove most of the metal i needed, i then took it to the diamond plate, gesshin 400 and 4k( to remove scratches)

man this thing cuts like on other now i was really surprised, im curious how long the edge will last but i was very surprised at how sharp it got, much better than i have been able to get on this knife before.

anyways just figured id share, i kind of underestimated the value in thinning, wont do that again.

i wish i would have thought to take pictues im really bad about that....

so does anyone know how to etch blades? the damascus has been faded for a long time been thinking about redoing it.

Nice! I did that a while back with a Fujiwara Teruyasu. The thing cuts like crazy now.

Any time I thin my knives they cut amazingly well for a long time, but clearly you can't do it too many times. I think my Kono HD has taken about all it can

Shuns will etch up pretty nicely but require a strong buff job to get them shiny again.

Back