What is a burl?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
People who come here always ask what is a burl?
Simple answer........ a mutated freak of nature. Kind of like a two headed chicken.
But my boss doesn't like it when I say that.

There are a lot of variations with burls.
Most burls contain a lot of dormant shoots all crammed together in a small area.

First is a Maple stump burl. Most of the burl formation occurs at ground level and a little ways below.

1-52.jpg

2-24.jpg

This is what we call a cluster burl log. Lots of smaller side burls on the trunk.

8-5.jpg

7-6.jpg

Sometimes there will be some larger side burls on the trunk of a maple. When cut off they are called burl caps.

4-9.jpg

This is a buckeye burl getting washed. Most of the buckeye burl grows underground.

3-14.jpg

Last a big oak bunion that grew about 2/3 of the way around the tree trunk. These do not have pins just weird swirling grain.
We won't know for sure what we have until it gets washed and cut.

5-7.jpg

thanks for the pictures! I never seen whole burl stump/log before, very amazing!!:thumbsup:

I will try to remember to take more photos when they wash the oak and other pieces.
You never know what you are going to find under the bark.
Some pieces look like a unique natural sculpture on their own.

Another idea I have is to wander through the woods and take photos of some of the unusual trees around here.
There are a lot of old strange looking trees that I hope never get cut down.

You could have just said "wood warts" and been done with it. :lol2:

Back