Quantcast
Any Ultimatum m390 reports?
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Ultimatum m390 reports?

Any Ultimatum m390 reports?

Anybody have any opinions on these? Only reason that i ask is that i have said knife and feel that it lacks "fall through food" performance. Infact, its really tough to cut hard veg with. With swede, squash etc i have to use really alot of force with lots of horrible wedging noises. I can even feel resistance when slicing peppers. As a result i have really hardly used this knife which is a shame as the weight and profile feels great.

I'm hoping that other users have had similar problems and solutions to this.

Is there anything that falls through Swede? We just made some for dinner a couple of nights ago....my watanabe had a heck of a time with it...I was worried about using a Suisin IH on it at all.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Well i would use the infamous kato as an example but i think theres enough mystery around that one already! Possibly bad example with swede. Things like cutting potato, it is noticibly tougher than any other knife i own including the house globals.

Any chance of a pic from behind the heel to see the grind?
    The fix would be thinning, but with the hardness and abrasion resistance it'd be slow work without power.
    Other than the wedging how do you find it?

I find think knives like the IH easily cut through "wedgie" tough objects. I haven't cut a swede though. I guess I can go do that tonight. I didn't think M390 was all that bad to grind, at least on diamond plates.

Phew getting a spine shot to work with an iphone is tough work! Anyway:

Just took another of tanaka for comparison:

So it does look like there could be some thinning needed? Quick question, how long would you expect to take to get the major work out of the way on a knife like this. I am not intimidated by such a task but get easily bored and disheartened. If i had a rough timescale hopefully that could keep me motivated!

TB, other that that it is a really quality piece. No f&f complaints. My favourite feature of the knife is the crazy thin tip. It makes things like meat trimming really easy. Unfortunatly due to the main issue, ive not had a chance to stretch its legs as far as the steel goes.

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    ...So it does look like there could be some thinning needed? Quick question, how long would you expect to take to get the major work out of the way on a knife like this. I am not intimidated by such a task but get easily bored and disheartened. If i had a rough timescale hopefully that could keep me motivated!...
    That is a fattie, alright. Looks like several hours to me. What would you be grinding it on?

Several hours Mind you, the sheer satisfaction afterwords i suppose! It would be a 140ish diamond plate for the heavy work.

Haha. Well, maybe you can try it out a little to gauge the effect the diamond plate has on the metal and then decide if it's worth your trouble. If not, then you'll have to send it off or use power tools.

Like I said recently in another thread, these Lamson made (Addict, Artifex, Ultimatum, etc) knives are VERY thick. They need a lot of work to perform at the level that most people here (that's users not loving Henckels) are hoping to score with a purchase.