Thanksgiving Turnips- Bleh

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
In a most probably futile attempt at saving my-self from another bowl of watery overcooked bitter turnips this Thanksgiving. Anyone have some suggestions?

I was thinking slicing them and sous vide , served with a chive cream sauce rather than mashed. How do you think they would travel/ hold?

I love making swede with them (the yellow-fleshed variety). salt, pepper, butter, put in the stand-mixer for 10 minutes or so with the paddle attachment.

Anything in a cream sauce should be good :) I am still not sure about the differences between turnips, rutabaga and swedes (? What have these poor people done to you?). Are there any? What I know as rutabaga I usually cook with 2 parts potatoes and turn into a creamy puree; butter, cream, and a few drops of truffle oil can't hurt.

Stefan

I am still not sure about the differences between turnips, rutabaga and swedes (? What have these poor people done to you?). Are there any?

Rutabaga = Swede = yellow-fleshed turnip.

That's about all I know about it. Very common side dish for winter holidays in England....my MiL made it every year I knew her.

That sounds like it could be pretty interesting. I also like a glazed turnip to combat the bitter, never tried it with maple syrup just thought about it though. I only eat turnips a couple times a year so I am not extremely knowledgeable of them.

Some part of me thinks it has to do with the turnips. I had roasted turnips last night and steamed turnips tonight, and they were sweet and delicious both times.

Small, white turnips are very good roasted with other root vegetables with say a leg of lamb. Any leftovers I put in the stock pot the next day.

Back