Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy Fieri get fried.

[QUOTE=mr drinky;157633]Well, that was a pleasurable read. I can't stand Fieri, his knives, or all of that jargon he uses.

With that said, in economics they say there is always a place for lower quality goods and even though Fieri bills his food as high quality, there are unfortunately a lot of people (even in my family) from rural middle America who would probably love to go to this place and also rave about it afterwards. When my brother-in-law claims that bloomin' onions from Applebee's are the best food ever and he only buys chairs with cupholders, you learn to accept this crap. A lot of people really enjoy bad food.]

True, but do they want to pay out the @$$ for it? He claims that he's doing old school americana, but he's charging for modern techniques, knowledge, and quality of ingredients. None of which appear to be being utilized in this establishment. I don't want to come off as some snotty chef, I gleefully eat McDonald's and boxed mac'n cheese. But I know what I'm paying for. This is just a means to exploit people who've been led to believe that this idiot is an actual chef, which will somehow excuse the exorbitant prices. 'The emperor has no clothes..."
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The whole thing makes me sad. You can bust your ass every day, then this guy can make your whole career seem like a waste of effort. Kudos for NY Times for telling it like it is. Clearly that reviewer went there more than once. That must have been hard.

Donkey sauce? Gross. Weird. Scary.

To travel to NYC and eat at this restaurant is such a missed opportunity. Like walking into a rose garden and smelling dog s*** on purpose.

Guy Ferry had made a lot of money off drunken frat party food and self promotion .
    he does help small places increase traffic with his show .That is the only thing he does that's worthy .
    besides that nothing he does is worth the merit of the hype built up around him.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Donkey sauce.....anything like donkey punch?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post

True, but do they want to pay out the @$$ for it? He claims that he's doing old school americana, but he's charging for modern techniques, knowledge, and quality of ingredients. None of which appear to be being utilized in this establishment. I don't want to come off as some snotty chef, I gleefully eat McDonald's and boxed mac'n cheese. But I know what I'm paying for. This is just a means to exploit people who've been led to believe that this idiot is an actual chef, which will somehow excuse the exorbitant prices. 'The emperor has no clothes..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    To travel to NYC and eat at this restaurant is such a missed opportunity. Like walking into a rose garden and smelling dog s*** on purpose.
    Good points. Half the people who go in there are also probably just scared of the magnitude of New York and couldn't imagine finding a restaurant on their own -- that isn't fast food. Even though it is pricey at his place, I bet a lot of the diners go back home and say they have eaten at some fancy celebrity chef restaurant. The term 'chef' has truly become relative in the Food Network world.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    After reading that, I've lost a lot of respect for Alton Brown.
    Do you really think the restaurant is as bad as Wells describes it? I doubt it and I'm not anything close to a fan of Guy Fieri.

I am a huge fan of AB, though.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    The video on the bottom of the page says they had been open only 2 mo.. The reviewer had gone in there 4 times. I myself don't like his shows, but it may also be a reviewer trying to make a name for himself. I can see how this place can seem bad at 2 mo. in a busy place like times square. I still wouldn't eat there tho..
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Do you really think the restaurant is as bad as Wells describes it? I doubt it and I'm not anything close to a fan of Guy Fieri.

I am a huge fan of AB, though.
    +1 on all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    The video on the bottom of the page says they had been open only 2 mo.. The reviewer had gone in there 4 times. I myself don't like his shows, but it may also be a reviewer trying to make a name for himself. I can see how this place can seem bad at 2 mo. in a busy place like times square. I still wouldn't eat there tho..
    I haven't worked in a restaurant before but....I quickly tired of hearing him say, "we were only open for 2 months." That is perhaps a reason for a couple of problems....but the review would lead you to believe that every single thing was a disaster. So either the reviewer is full of crap, or Fieri is full of crap.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I am not sure why it should take longer than two months to cook edible food if you already have 17 other restaurants and should have some experience under your belt. Sounds a bit like he is replicating food he found in the dumps and dives he visits, only at triple the prices. Didn't he have to show at least some cooking talent to win the show that brought him on the FN?

Stefan

It seems he doesn't have a lot of fans here, but I think Diners Drive-Ins and Dives is a great show and he fits it perfectly. He has just the right balance of charisma and knowledge. I watch it all the time, I love it