Quantcast
Guy Fieri get fried. - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy Fieri get fried.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Which one isn't? Anything anyone would say in Fieri's shoes would be considered the same. Opening a restaurant is very tough, every one wants everything to be great when no has worked together before, and your lucky if half of the people you hired even knows half of what the hell they are doing. I'm sure the place hasn't even purged out the dead weight yet. As a reviewer he should know this. I'm sure too that many of the employees have star eyes too. Honestly if you open with a good review your are on fire.

I usually don't try a new restaurant until it is at least a mo. old. As busy as times square is it probably wont be for another couple of months too.
    Chewie's the man.

Critics are like A holes.

Fieri's resturant may have been open for only two months, but during that time he's been charging New York prices for product while he "figures things out". Sorry, but if I'm paying good money, I expect good food. Quid pro quo.

Yeah, but without critics, A-holes like Fieri would think they could get away with menuing dog shite with some weird sauce and call it cuisine.
    It's not like this guy has no prior experience in the business. And 2 months is plenty of time to work out most of the bugs. Remember that he had months of recipe development and pre-opening training as well. If he hired idiots that can't follow recipes or directions to staff his kitchen, that is his fault as well. If his purchasing agents buy crappy stuff to stock the place...again, his responsibility. The old saying "Fish stinks from the head" is completely applicable here. You put your name on something, you stand by it. Whether it be garbage food, garbage knives, or garbage credability.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I know you guys are trying to consider it from a restauranteur's perspective or from the perspective of someone running a kitchen, and what you say makes sense. However, I would add that there is NOTHING good to eat actually in Times Square (not counting some places a few blocks east or west). It's Olive Garden, Bubba Gump's, etc. Guy's restaurant is most likely another of those. Those "kinks" aren't ever going to get ironed out...that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I know you guys are trying to consider it from a restauranteur's perspective or from the perspective of someone running a kitchen, and what you say makes sense. However, I would add that there is NOTHING good to eat actually in Times Square (not counting some places a few blocks east or west). It's Olive Garden, Bubba Gump's, etc. Guy's restaurant is most likely another of those. Those "kinks" aren't ever going to get ironed out...that's my guess.
    I was working near Times SQ for about 6 months a few years ago...I was rather shocked at how true this was. Had to take a cab to find decent food.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I was working near Times SQ for about 6 months a few years ago...I was rather shocked at how true this was. Had to take a cab to find decent food.
    In context, that's entirely true. Most tourist destinations have a load of crappy dining options. From a business standpoint there's no reason to stand out in a field of mediocrity when most people's reason to patronize a particular place is just to say "Oh...I ate there". On the other hand,don't get all huffy if you get called on it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

`What's worse than a make believe "chef"? .............A critic.

Really what did he expect? That "review" was written before he got there.

Bourdain has an interesting chapter on the crapitalization (my word--I think I'll coin it) of the Food Network--at the center of which stands Guy Fieri. I loathe the kind of complacent, Tea Party populism that the Food Network peddles. Why learn something about food from Alton Brown or Mario Batali if, instead, you can watch a drunken Sandra Lee who embodies all of the superficiality and desperation of a craft-devoid suburban mediocre life slosh her way through food "just like you make at home?" In that spirit, I cheered this review as a massive, upraised middle finger to a lot of things I hate.

Salty's right--this review was written before Pete Wells walked in the door, and awaited only the examples required to credibly prove that any visits took place. But I sympathize with Wells's point to the extent that I'm willing to give him a pass for the hatchet-job screed. This restaurant peddles meta-authenticity--rather than doing one cuisine right based on immersion in its traditions, Guy promises the best of America as Americans understand it. The absurd dislocations that lead people to pay thirty bucks a plate for Guy's restaurant to serve them mass-produced versions of the things they want to eat in an unfamiliar city precisely BECAUSE they are familiar probably aren't the subject for a dining section review. But given Wells's pulpit, I'm not sure I could restrain myself, either.

Quote Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
    Bourdain has an interesting chapter on the crapitalization (my word--I think I'll coin it) of the Food Network--at the center of which stands Guy Fieri. I loathe the kind of complacent, Tea Party populism that the Food Network peddles. Why learn something about food from Alton Brown or Mario Batali if, instead, you can watch a drunken Sandra Lee who embodies all of the superficiality and desperation of a craft-devoid suburban mediocre life slosh her way through food "just like you make at home?" In that spirit, I cheered this review as a massive, upraised middle finger to a lot of things I hate.

Salty's right--this review was written before Pete Wells walked in the door, and awaited only the examples required to credibly prove that any visits took place. But I sympathize with Wells's point to the extent that I'm willing to give him a pass for the hatchet-job screed. This restaurant peddles meta-authenticity--rather than doing one cuisine right based on immersion in its traditions, Guy promises the best of America as Americans understand it. The absurd dislocations that lead people to pay thirty bucks a plate for Guy's restaurant to serve them mass-produced versions of the things they want to eat in an unfamiliar city precisely BECAUSE they are familiar probably aren't the subject for a dining section review. But given Wells's pulpit, I'm not sure I could restrain myself, either.
    +1
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky