Guy Fieri get fried.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this yesterday! Usually NYTimes critics try to find some redeeming quality in the food, but nothing was mentioned here. That must say something about it :laugh:

wow I don't think I have ever seen a worse critique.

Ouch. But not surprising, is it?

Stefan

lol Alton Brown tweeted that he will go in this weekend to see if it is that bad. Then his tweet went off on him calling the reviewer snooty.

I guess it could have been worse. Pete could have said that there were no dishes ruined by sloppy sides and sauces, instead of the bahn mi that wasn't a bahn mi, and the bison meatloaf ruined by sticky sauce. At 500 seats, it's no surprise. I seriously doubt he was involved at all besides signing his name and picking up the check. That's one thing I truly respect about Bourdain. But I find Guy entertaining. That's what he is, to me, is entertainment. There's a reason we don't see him cooking on TV.

I misread that as Guy Fieri got fired and was excited. Bummer.

-AJ

I had read that his place was panned, butt it was whacked with a 14 inch Griswold! Great read!

?.. butt it was whacked with a 14 inch Griswold! Great read!

Nice picture. Maybe the boss could use a whacking occasionally, too. I used to zap through channels and whenever I saw his show, I was sure he was in the same dive every time I watched. I was actually thinking about using a snippet of his show to stimulate a discussion among my students about what is wrong with nutrition and health in the US.

Stefan

I find his style on FoodNetwork to be incredibly annoying, it always strikes me as a triumph of style over substance...but this reviewer does seem to be getting emotionally involved in the review, questioning Guy's integrity/honesty, etc. It does make me wonder what (all) motivated the review. Obviously it wasn't an impressive experience (not shocking) but there seems to be more to it.

It was a really good read though...a very entertaining review.

Well, that was a pleasurable read. I can't stand Fieri, his knives, or all of that jargon he uses.

With that said, in economics they say there is always a place for lower quality goods and even though Fieri bills his food as high quality, there are unfortunately a lot of people (even in my family) from rural middle America who would probably love to go to this place and also rave about it afterwards. When my brother-in-law claims that bloomin' onions from Applebee's are the best food ever and he only buys chairs with cupholders, you learn to accept this crap. A lot of people really enjoy bad food.

k.

Well, that was a pleasurable read. I can't stand Fieri, his knives, or all of that jargon he uses.

With that said, in economics they say there is always a place for lower quality goods and even though Fieri bills his food as high quality, there are unfortunately a lot of people (even in my family) from rural middle America who would probably love to go to this place and also rave about it afterwards. When my brother-in-law claims that bloomin' onions from Applebee's are the best food ever and he only buys chairs with cupholders, you learn to accept this crap. A lot of people really enjoy bad food.

k.

So true. The people in my town are clamoring for an Applebees. It would be the best thing EVER! LOL

-AJ

Fieri's response is worth reading (there is some good video at the bottom of the article).

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/ny-times-slams-guy-fieris-restaurant-regular-folks-224800321.html

There was a pretty terrible review on "Serious Eats" as well.

After reading that, I've lost a lot of respect for Alton Brown. and that video just confirms what I've known for years - Guy Fieri is completely full of s***. He sounds like an under prepped politician, and looks like a complete jack ass. He bleaches his hair AND his disturbing lower lip beard thing?! He must've said Two months about 15 times. And his waffling in regards to whether he was actively taking part in said 'restaurant' was just embarrassing from the view of an individual like myself that takes food very seriously.

With that said, in economics they say there is always a place for lower quality goods and even though Fieri bills his food as high quality, there are unfortunately a lot of people (even in my family) from rural middle America who would probably love to go to this place and also rave about it afterwards. When my brother-in-law claims that bloomin' onions from Applebee's are the best food ever and he only buys chairs with cupholders, you learn to accept this crap. A lot of people really enjoy bad food.]

True, but do they want to pay out the @$$ for it? He claims that he's doing old school americana, but he's charging for modern techniques, knowledge, and quality of ingredients. None of which appear to be being utilized in this establishment. I don't want to come off as some snotty chef, I gleefully eat McDonald's and boxed mac'n cheese. But I know what I'm paying for. This is just a means to exploit people who've been led to believe that this idiot is an actual chef, which will somehow excuse the exorbitant prices. 'The emperor has no clothes..."

The whole thing makes me sad. You can bust your ass every day, then this guy can make your whole career seem like a waste of effort. Kudos for NY Times for telling it like it is. Clearly that reviewer went there more than once. That must have been hard.

Donkey sauce? Gross. Weird. Scary.

To travel to NYC and eat at this restaurant is such a missed opportunity. Like walking into a rose garden and smelling dog s*** on purpose.

Guy Ferry had made a lot of money off drunken frat party food and self promotion .
he does help small places increase traffic with his show .That is the only thing he does that's worthy .
besides that nothing he does is worth the merit of the hype built up around him.

True, but do they want to pay out the @$$ for it? He claims that he's doing old school americana, but he's charging for modern techniques, knowledge, and quality of ingredients. None of which appear to be being utilized in this establishment. I don't want to come off as some snotty chef, I gleefully eat McDonald's and boxed mac'n cheese. But I know what I'm paying for. This is just a means to exploit people who've been led to believe that this idiot is an actual chef, which will somehow excuse the exorbitant prices. 'The emperor has no clothes..."

To travel to NYC and eat at this restaurant is such a missed opportunity. Like walking into a rose garden and smelling dog s*** on purpose.

Good points. Half the people who go in there are also probably just scared of the magnitude of New York and couldn't imagine finding a restaurant on their own -- that isn't fast food. Even though it is pricey at his place, I bet a lot of the diners go back home and say they have eaten at some fancy celebrity chef restaurant. The term 'chef' has truly become relative in the Food Network world.

k.

After reading that, I've lost a lot of respect for Alton Brown.

Do you really think the restaurant is as bad as Wells describes it? I doubt it and I'm not anything close to a fan of Guy Fieri.

I am a huge fan of AB, though.

The video on the bottom of the page says they had been open only 2 mo.. The reviewer had gone in there 4 times. I myself don't like his shows, but it may also be a reviewer trying to make a name for himself. I can see how this place can seem bad at 2 mo. in a busy place like times square. I still wouldn't eat there tho..

Do you really think the restaurant is as bad as Wells describes it? I doubt it and I'm not anything close to a fan of Guy Fieri.

I am a huge fan of AB, though.

+1 on all of that.

The video on the bottom of the page says they had been open only 2 mo.. The reviewer had gone in there 4 times. I myself don't like his shows, but it may also be a reviewer trying to make a name for himself. I can see how this place can seem bad at 2 mo. in a busy place like times square. I still wouldn't eat there tho..

I haven't worked in a restaurant before but....I quickly tired of hearing him say, "we were only open for 2 months." That is perhaps a reason for a couple of problems....but the review would lead you to believe that every single thing was a disaster. So either the reviewer is full of crap, or Fieri is full of crap.

I am not sure why it should take longer than two months to cook edible food if you already have 17 other restaurants and should have some experience under your belt. Sounds a bit like he is replicating food he found in the dumps and dives he visits, only at triple the prices. Didn't he have to show at least some cooking talent to win the show that brought him on the FN?

Stefan

It seems he doesn't have a lot of fans here, but I think Diners Drive-Ins and Dives is a great show and he fits it perfectly. He has just the right balance of charisma and knowledge. I watch it all the time, I love it

Back