Quantcast
Am i wrong to be upset and feel used by my employer? (complaining.. sorry for the rant)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i wrong to be upset and feel used by my employer? (complaining.. sorry for the rant)

Am i wrong to be upset and feel used by my employer? (complaining.. sorry for the rant)

A little background first- im a sous chef at a small high-end restaurant, the owners, head chef and employees are all great people and i really love working there for the most part. I have been there for 5 years and im the only one who does everything there from the line to the baking.

So this is the start of the busy time of the year and i normally end up working a lot of day shifts which start at 4am for prep/ baking. There are only 3 deciated day people that do all the prep for sauces, baking, pastries, and things like pounding veal, all the frying stuff etc. Well its a rough time for then especially with everyone having to have 2 days off. So i normally fill the gap.

Well this week he had me scheduled for my normal shifts at night which start at about 3-11. Every night this week he has asked me the night of to work in the morning as well and pull doubles, which of course i said yes, one i like working and two i need the money. Well after a very short week of sleep and long week of work the owner starts freaking out about my hours, cuts me yesterday during the day at 11 and then yells at me for not having completed everything that day, as well as me getting bitched out by the chef because my night shift wasnt covered.

Then today my chef tells me not to come in until 5, i get there nothing is done with 140 reservations and 2 hours behind. I come to find out that the day guy couldn't make it and that ray ( the owner) was working and decided to not do important things like fabricate and pound the veal scallopini, make veal glace, stock, or our braising liquid for our poached shrimp pasta dish. So on top of my normal prep and work throughout the night I'm having to do this stuff to order.

Once i serve the last reservation at 9:15 he immediately comes back and tell me to i have to go.

Some of this sounds like bitching which i may be but the main problem i have is the coming in to help out and working back to back with no sleep to only be cut and not even getting overtime. I understand he has to keep payroll down but when and employee helps you out i would think it would be right to allow him overtime, i mean if i would have known they were gonna cut me at the end of the week i would have said no i cant work.

am i overreacting to this or do i have a right to be upset?

Sounds like BS to me. I'd be pissed.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    A little background first- im a sous chef at a small high-end restaurant, the owners, head chef and employees are all great people and i really love working there for the most part. I have been there for 5 years and im the only one who does everything there from the line to the baking.

So this is the start of the busy time of the year and i normally end up working a lot of day shifts which start at 4am for prep/ baking. There are only 3 deciated day people that do all the prep for sauces, baking, pastries, and things like pounding veal, all the frying stuff etc. Well its a rough time for then especially with everyone having to have 2 days off. So i normally fill the gap.

Well this week he had me scheduled for my normal shifts at night which start at about 3-11. Every night this week he has asked me the night of to work in the morning as well and pull doubles, which of course i said yes, one i like working and two i need the money. Well after a very short week of sleep and long week of work the owner starts freaking out about my hours, cuts me yesterday during the day at 11 and then yells at me for not having completed everything that day, as well as me getting bitched out by the chef because my night shift wasnt covered.

Then today my chef tells me not to come in until 5, i get there nothing is done with 140 reservations and 2 hours behind. I come to find out that the day guy couldn't make it and that ray ( the owner) was working and decided to not do important things like fabricate and pound the veal scallopini, make veal glace, stock, or our braising liquid for our poached shrimp pasta dish. So on top of my normal prep and work throughout the night I'm having to do this stuff to order.

Once i serve the last reservation at 9:15 he immediately comes back and tell me to i have to go.

Some of this sounds like bitching which i may be but the main problem i have is the coming in to help out and working back to back with no sleep to only be cut and not even getting overtime. I understand he has to keep payroll down but when and employee helps you out i would think it would be right to allow him overtime, i mean if i would have known they were gonna cut me at the end of the week i would have said no i cant work.

am i overreacting to this or do i have a right to be upset?
    You're not overreacting. It sounds like they are overreaching their grasp though, in terms of labor versus quality/output. If you want to continue working there, it might be in your interest to discuss a salaried position with them. You seem to have a good work ethic, and care about the food. As long as they won't abuse your good nature- it might be a good option. Otherwise, I say get the hell out of there. Find a place that will respect you and pay you for your efforts. Kitchens always call for long hours, just part of the biz, but a good employer will notice you putting the time in and quality of work you're producing, and won't waste your time punishing you for getting s*** done when no one else will.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

What I can't understand is why everyone else has to have 2 days off, execpt for you. Sounds like a typical combination a of Chef with poor management skills and a dilettante owner abusing the talent. Learn what you can from it, then demand to be compensated for your effort. Good luck.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

That's a raw deal, dude. Wow.

welcome to being a sous chef, It sucks, it shouldn't happen, It does everywhere and if you put up with it, they will keep doing it. Salary isn't any better but, in theory you get paid a little bit more to cover the extra hours. not really.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I'd be looking for another place.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sounds to me like salary could make it worse. It seems like the ownership and the chef are at adds about what quality for what price. I bet you have a new Chef within a year. If you are ready for it to be you and you want to work for that owner stay. If not, RUN!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Damn that sucks!
    Pretty much par for the course in the S industry.
    Salary honestly doesn't make it any better and you get waaaaayyy more overworked and abused. Hang your head high no matter what the douches do or say. You can only do what you can do. I know that sounds lame, but it's the truth.
    At the end of the day are you proud of the job YOU have done?
    I'm pulling for you. Hope it gets better. If not, a change of scenery is inevitable.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I'm surprised you are not salary. Then they could work you like that all the time and it won't cost them any extra!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney