I'm ready for osechi for a new year

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara@JKI

Reaction score
Is there anyone who is preparing Osechi for a new year? I think I am! You can read about Osechi here.  More info is availavle in Japanese though.

I love my Mom's osechi, but if I could have the second osechi (which is, only if I were in Japan), I will order one of these.
05199300.jpg

Jealous. I wish I got osechi. lol Sometimes I get the sweet rolled egg. I always get fresh mochi though, so at least theres that. :D

Are there mochitsuki taikai in CA? Theres a bunch here.

omg.. i should look into the mochitsuki taikai around :) greatest idea ever... thanks Mari :) My family always did mochitsuki prior to a new year, and rounding those mochi was my job for an entire day pretty much. Fresh mochi is the BEST! I feel like I should make my own mochi icecream at some point (with fresh mochi, of course).

the great thing about osechi is that you can make a ton of them but just use some for the box.... as soon as something disappears from the box, you can refill. That means no cooking for like 4 days - the best treat and break for all the home cooks!

I really need to learn how to cook Japanese food. I'm a baker, not a cook. I'm jealous of your skills. :)

Ahh mochi ice cream!! Yes! But my heart belongs to ichigo daifuku and oshiruko <3 Theres a place near my grandparent's house that sells amazing ichigo daifuku with shiroan. So. Good. Its next to the train station, it was very dangerous. I wish mochi wasn't so high in calories. LOL

I wish I can cook fish and other meat though :( I have this explainable feelings - when i touch row meat, my appetite disappears :sad0: It's the smell, texture, the look of organs and everything... one day i will have to learn though :(

Yes, Ichigo daifuku and oshiruko is so awesome. One of my dreams is to ask someone to use one of those extra jumbo and sweet strawberries for daifuku. wouldn't that be great? Those strawberries:

123678228589016221344_0311-1.jpg

123678230551416221460_0311-2.jpg

NGY201101140030.jpg

Latest posts

Back