Sous Vide Small polyscience vs SVS which one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the money I would get the polyscience.
I spent a lot of time looking at those and chamber vacuum sealers.
Exciting stuff.

Don't know exactly what the SVS is. I do know that I have worked at a place that bought a cheaper circulator only to buy the polyscience a few months later because the results weren't as consistent. Just my two cents. If I remember right it was quail eggs that the cheap one couldn't nail.

Are you using this in a pro or home setting? Either way, I'd go with the Poly. Very dependable and durable.

svs= sous vide supreme

It is for the home setting. I didnt even know poly sci made a smaller circulator until yesterday. Which is what we use to heat cool one of our really expensive instruments at work, so I know it is good stuff. It is a couple hundred more dollars so I wanted to get a few opinions before I sent the link to my wife for purchase.

I enjoy that the polyscience actually circulates and that I can clamp it to a pot or the huge container they ship it with.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Jared

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the SVS, I wish I had a polysci though, its a superior device in every way except self containment and aesthetics.
The price on that is really quite good if you consider that it comes with a $100 book (assuming you want the book) and the container as well. I would suggest getting another container as well to use to nest, thereby insulating your main container. It will save you a lot in wasted energy on longer cooks. I would consider a chamber vacuum sealer as well. Good luck!

I see it's also available without the extras for $500, the book and container are definately worth the extra money for the combo, IMO.

Main thing is to greatly decrease the surface of the water to minimize evaporation. The solid ones will be less effective... would hollow ones be worth 2x the cost... don't see it offhand. One may be able to find them even cheaper yet or hollow ones for the same price; that link was the 1st one I found when searching Google.

Latest posts

Back