Looking for opinions on digital scales

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefdog

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new scale and figured I'd ask and see what's worked for you guys and what's been a POS. I'm probably looking for a 5k x 1g scale and also something small like 500g x .1g for the precise stuff.
Any experiences, positive or negative, would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm a big fan of the scales from MyWeigh. I wore out an i5000 unit (I think it got damaged in a move) and replaced it with a KD7000. Both are excellent choices. Search the internet for best price which may or may not be Amazon.

http://www.myweigh.com/cooking.html

-AJ

I have an American Weigh 500g x 0.01g model:sm-501, was inexpensive, easy to calibrate, has been working great since I got it early this year. For a larger scale I have a Pascali 10kg x 1g scale that does alright, but sometimes gives quite inaccurate results, I would not buy it again.

Thanks guys, ill look into the choices mentioned.
Anyone have experience with Escali? I saw a couple at JB Prince, but haven't seem them before.

Thanks guys, ill look into the choices mentioned.
Anyone have experience with Escali? I saw a couple at JB Prince, but haven't seem them before.

Escali is what I have, not Pascali. Mine has had problems, customer service was decent, but the quality is not where it needs to be, IMO.

I have an Escali. It's one that supposed to covert from weight to volume when you enter a code. I can't recommend it for the conversions--it's not accurate. For example, a cup of water weighs 236 grams, but the scale says you have a cup at 206 grams. (I spent a lot of time figuring this out when all my measuring cups appeared to be drastically wrong according to the scale.) If you're only using the weight feature it's fine, but the volume conversion is pretty much useless IMO. I contacted Escali about it and never heard back. It's a lightweight scale that runs on a 9V battery, so it's pretty convenient. Haven't had to change the battery yet, but it looks like something that will have the wires to the batteries break in the long term--they're pretty lightweight. But it's on the original battery and I've had it for a year, so that might take a while. Other than the fact that the distinguishing characteristic of this scale doesn't work, it's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
This MyWeigh KD8000 has been serving us well for a few months now. On the one hand, it doesn't feel that sturdy (kind of light for it's size, relatively). On the other hand, it's been performing great, and it has high capacity for larger batches, and it does percentage weighing (usually a feature of more expensive models, although I haven't had need to use that yet).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NE0FU2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=akikamoza-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B001NE0FU2&adid=1XP5K3AFMC5RVT9SJTNY&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.ideasinfood.com%2Fideas_in_food%2F

~Tad

MyWeigh really is the way to go. They are very supportive of their product and I have never had issues with my scales. Well worth the extra couple bucks if you want quality and accuracy.

Back