Would like some history on this Devin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
So I posted a "need to borrow" thread a while back and ecchef was kind enough to loan me his 270 DT ITK- One from the first run.
Can I get some history, specs, steel, etc on this baby?
I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed using it. Love the profile and the grind.
How old is this baby? This is the first time I've been able to use a Devin, and I've gotta say I'm very impressed.
Does the #7 on the side mean anything?
Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
In case that link disappears:

Dimentions of the DT ITK 270 AEB-L Gyuto: I believe it's AEB-L

Weight 8.4oz/ 232g
Full Length 16.5"/419mm
Length from tip to heel: 10.25"/ 260.34mm
Length tip to handle 10 7/8"/ 276.22mm
Height 2.06"/ 419mm
Handle Length 5.74"/ 145.8mm
Thickness at base .116"/2.94mm
Thickness in middle .086"/2.18mm
Thickness near tip .05"/ 1.27mm

This video is of the prototype. Dimensions above.

[video=youtube_share;DW8OHKRFDTA]http://youtu.be/DW8OHKRFDTA[/video]

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.
I'm loving this knife. It cuts like it's a much thinner knife. The edge is fantastic, I haven't even honed or stropped it yet.
Hopefully I could own myself a Devin one of these days. I need to start saving ASAP!

Ah, the nostalgia. Devin's knives are significantly better now, esp the customs. Actually, way better. Still, I really like my DT-ITK. I had to wait for the second batch. The wait almost killed me. :)

These came about when the members of Knife Forums/ In The Kitchen wanted to have a Japanese knife company do a small run of knives to their specs. I offered to do them. I think we numbered the first 13. That's because Colin didn't get one from the first batch and he wanted #13.

We did a 270 and 240 gyuto and a 270 suji. All had either a cocobolo or bocote handle. We did one special one for Adam M. who was the mod on that forum. They are called ITK, short for In The Kitchen. We've done a few hundred of these. All are AEB-L, most are wa handle and a few have western handles.

The first ones were based on the Tadatsuna. Because of complaints that the edge was not the full size, later models were changed to be 270/240 along the edge. We learned a lot about knife making because of the quantity. I still use one in my own kitchen.

Hoss

i like mine... i would love to see another run of some of these, like the cleaver. Should have jumped on it before. I used my 270 at a pig roast a couple of weeks ago. I think i could have sold it 3-4 times for twice what i paid...

All the numbered ones are AEB-L. Later on, some were made in 52100. I had the pleasure of checking out a knife from the first batch. The most striking thing about it was the incredible distal taper. Tip work was effortless and the heel was heavy enough to take on just about anything.

I have one of the original numbered ones. Its my second favorite knife after the one Hoss helped me make. It's just so versatile and I don't feel like I have to baby it.

i just bought #5 of the first batch and it was waiting for me when i got home today, i'll bring it over so you can reacquaint yourself to it. :) it has a slight lefty bias, so i need to swap that back to righty anyway. this thing feels 'mighty' like a wa version of mac pro. i love that it's 260mm blade instead of the full 270. fit & finish on this thing is unreal.

Back