Knife holder - advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micioarch

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm thinking about building a knife holder...I looked around in internet and I found out some ideas.
Here an image of my idea made at computer, if you sow something similar is beacuse I started from an existing model (too expensive and which doesn't meet completely my taste)

boxshelfXLmod.jpg

I'd like to have some advice about the lenth, I don't know how many knife can hold a 60 cm hole (the rack in the image is 80 cm approx), and if it will be better to have a single hole for each knife, what do you think?
In the case of a single hole for each knife, Will be better to have the knife perpendicular to the wall?
Thanks

Andrea

you would want a single hole, not a double. Getting to the knives in back can be a pain. Also the weight would be pulling the holder from the wall, causing the blades to clash after a while.

I think your design if beautiful, but I can't see how it would work well in practice (unless the slots were individually made for specific knives, which would be no easy task).

I'll have to reconsider my design - I really appreciate your advice, and I'm thinking about a magnetic rack, but I don't like them too much - it's just the feeling they give me.
Hi Johnny.B.Good I'd like to know why do you say the slot have to be for a specific knife? Won't it work also with separate slot all of the same dimension?
I really love this forum :)
it's every time of big help

Andrea

I was thinking that if the slot were to be large enough for a relatively thick chef's knife to slide all the way down to the handle, it would be too large for a small paring knife (for example), though maybe this wouldn't be an issue at all. I think I would feel more comfortable with each knife resting in its own secure slot though... It is cool looking though.

Perhaps a single slot that goes from wide to thin? On one end the larger chef knives and the pairing in thinner knives on the other? Shouldn't be to difficult.

I think it is a great idea, Andy777, has similar racks, that seemed to work well. I think the most attractive note about this option is the knives cannot be knocked loose. I am paranoid about knives being knocked off mag racks by balls, sippy cups and teddy bears with two young kids in the house. Segmented sections would be nice to prevent spine and edge knocking, but I don't think they have to be knife specific. A general slot would work fine.

what do you think about this?

boxshelfmod2-1.jpg

the knife will have the edge in the wall direction......I don't know if I'll need a thicker border to prevent the knife to touch the wall (accidentally).
I'f you have picture of your own knife holder I'll gladly take a look :biggrin:

I really like original design much better. Cleaner and more to my taste. And I think it would work just fine, hell great! It would be totally functional, just like any commercial knife rack. Make two of them and I'll happily take one and let you know my thoughts :) Seriously, good stuff man.

Cool, then on the left side you need one parallel slot for your cleaver:)

Visually the first is better imo, but realistically in terms of what's best for the knives,the second is a more functional design (being that there are slots) BUT I'd prefer to see version 1 with individual slots like number 2 cuz then you can see the blades so visually it would be much more appealing.

the best idea will be to use the first design, and add some hidden slot , just putting some wooden pieces one centimeter under the main surface, if I'll have time i'll make some drawing next week. I'll reduce the slot thicknes to 6 mm but I still need to find out the minimum distance between the two line of slot (I think in 60 cm you can put only 8 chef knife or 7 chef and 2 paring); in the first picture is 36 mm and the first is 18 mm from the wall. I'll wait for more advice...thanks again to everyone

what method are you using for the cutting? is it a 2 piece design (so back piece is slapped on after using the table saw to cut the gaps)?

You could probably make a few wedges that you could slot in between different knives using the first design to space them out, but still be able to change them with any changes in your collection. Just an idea.

IMG_2855.jpg

Here is something Dave made for me.It is similar to your second design.

the secound design looks very dangerus cuz you can cut yourself pretty bad with blades sticking out like that. and if you put them the other way edge against wall it would be pretty easy to damage the edge unless the wooden holder is wide so the blades cant hit the wall.

Rrlover I really like your knife holder, can I ask you how much space there are between the two line of slot and between slots. Mr.Magnus I thought it would happen(damage the edge), but it will be easy to solve it with a small panel close to the wall. If any one else want to post picture :laugh:

Back