Quantcast
I don't get the newspaper strop.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get the newspaper strop.

I don't get the newspaper strop.

Every time I've tried it I've been unsuccessful.

The paper starts to bunch up and sometimes fall apart. I don't get an even surface for stropping, and it's just so inconvenient and annoying. Can't comment too much on actual results; I've never actually followed through with trying it. Am I using the wrong kind of newspaper? I've tried Vietnamese papers, grocery store stuff, and even mall catalogs.

I've been just finishing on a 3k stone, sometimes a quick strop on plain leather and that gives a really good bite. Maybe it's because I'm just looking to get a decent edge and not an extremely insane one that I don't see the merits of newspaper - at what point does newspaper actually give good results?

I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Could be Murry Carter uses this tech in his advanced Sharpening DVD,after seeing this I tried putting newspaper on the stone stropping my spyderco's..Stropping on dry newsprint on a table is good for burr removal,cleaning up the edge.Chiharu Sugai says it works well wt. stainless steel knives.I have found it works for both SS & carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?
    Try wrapping a sheet around the stone a couple of times, so water doesn't get to the top layer, and it won't move if you tuck the edge under the stone.

try using the newspaper not on the stone and not damp... just find a clean dry surface and give it a shot there

I usually get about 3 sheets and fold it over my dry Atoma and sorta fold it underneath it so it is a tight fit

Ok, I'll give that a try next time. Thanks everyone

much more awesomer
    How about an old phone book?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I was at Jon's shop a few months ago and I witnessed a miracle: Junpei-san sharpened a knife for me and deburred by taking a magazine in his hand and lightly rubbing the edge on it from side to side on it. It took 5 seconds. As far as I could tell, the burr was nearly all gone when he was done.