I don't get the newspaper strop.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Every time I've tried it I've been unsuccessful.

The paper starts to bunch up and sometimes fall apart. I don't get an even surface for stropping, and it's just so inconvenient and annoying. Can't comment too much on actual results; I've never actually followed through with trying it. Am I using the wrong kind of newspaper? I've tried Vietnamese papers, grocery store stuff, and even mall catalogs.

I've been just finishing on a 3k stone, sometimes a quick strop on plain leather and that gives a really good bite. Maybe it's because I'm just looking to get a decent edge and not an extremely insane one that I don't see the merits of newspaper - at what point does newspaper actually give good results?

I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Could be Murry Carter uses this tech in his advanced Sharpening DVD,after seeing this I tried putting newspaper on the stone stropping my spyderco's..Stropping on dry newsprint on a table is good for burr removal,cleaning up the edge.Chiharu Sugai says it works well wt. stainless steel knives.I have found it works for both SS & carbon.

I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Try wrapping a sheet around the stone a couple of times, so water doesn't get to the top layer, and it won't move if you tuck the edge under the stone.

try using the newspaper not on the stone and not damp... just find a clean dry surface and give it a shot there

I usually get about 3 sheets and fold it over my dry Atoma and sorta fold it underneath it so it is a tight fit

I was at Jon's shop a few months ago and I witnessed a miracle: Junpei-san sharpened a knife for me and deburred by taking a magazine in his hand and lightly rubbing the edge on it from side to side on it. It took 5 seconds. As far as I could tell, the burr was nearly all gone when he was done.

I'm having trouble visualizing that - do you hold the magazine like a roll, and then swipe the edge perpendicular to it? Sounds like a neat technique!

I was at Jon's shop a few months ago and I witnessed a miracle: Junpei-san sharpened a knife for me and deburred by taking a magazine in his hand and lightly rubbing the edge on it from side to side on it. It took 5 seconds. As far as I could tell, the burr was nearly all gone when he was done.

Please, explain this further.

Please, explain this further.
Well, if there's some explanation, I wouldn't be able to give it to you. The dude doesn't speak english. He sharpened it. I tried to convey the fact that I saw a burr and asked him (non-verbally) to deburr, just so I could check out how he does it. He just picked up a magazine in his hand, half-rolled up and just swished the blade back and forth a few times and handed it back to me. I looked for the burr and found just a little left on the heel. It was pretty nonchalant-looking. I'm used to seeing people be pretty careful about it.

Use light pressure, use same angle you sharpened at and draw the knife away from the bade edge, holding the paper behind the blade edge. No crumpling. Just a convenient alternative.

I'm hardly admirable at any of this sharpening business but....I decided to give the newspaper strop a go. It's been a couple of weeks since I put a new edge on anything. I tried: suisin inox honyaki, watanabe nakiri, gengetsu petty, zakuri petty, and a carter funy. In each case it clearly touched up the edge nicely. I compared before/after by cutting copy paper and news paper...no spare veggies hanging about.

It was also my first attempt at using anything for a strop except my waterstones. seemed pretty easy/straightforward to get decent results. I just laid one thin, folded section near the edge of the counter and used the same motion as I do on the stones and as I've seen other KKFers do in various videos.

I'll definitely make this a regular part of my sharpening routine.

My $.02.

Dry newspaper, some three sheets, preferably with a lot of black ink and no other colors, I would say. My stones are always somewhat damp, so I use a cedar cigar box.

It's funny, I have tried stropping with compounds and leather, but nothing does it for me like a nice piece of inky dry newspaper over a stone, best strop I have ever tried. My boron carbide, chromium oxide and my kanoyama go unused, but I love a piece of newspaper.

We get a weekly local rag. It's got the police reports, which are pretty darn entertaining. Although not so much since a local dive of a bar closed.

I use a piece of cardboard held with spring clamps to the edge of a table. When I'm done stopping with that I put the fold of the newspaper under the C-board to hold it in place while I strop. I tried fresh news print paper, but it didn't raise the micro bur like ink does.

My very old & sagacious friend 'Tex' Grove kept all of his boat-working chisels in spooky sharp condition - he carried a long, narrow strip of what he called 'Pretty damn fine Flatland Bluestone..." which I think was from northern Europe somewhere, and that he claimed:

"The little guy works like a sum-***** 'cause of all the tiny Garnet chunks put lots of tooth on the edge with just a couple of strokes. Ya see the trick is to get some bite ta the edge and then sort of whap it inta shape with your strop - leave the teeth be, but polish the rest of the edge like heck and your chisel will just fly through cedar."

Tex's 'strop' was a recycled cardboard Safeway Egg carton - "Look, they're light, pack in my ditty bag, put down a polish like God's Teeth, and heck - I get a free one every week..."

On all my white and blue steel knives, a few strokes with a Mac ceramic hone followed 10-20 strops on a egg carton seems to keep them about a sharp as I'd like in my kitchen. The VG-10 Shun and Ryusen knives seem to want some work with a 6000 grit shapton stone followed by the strop - they seem pretty unimpressed by the ceramic hone, I'm not sure why.

Cheers

Jim

I tried this the other day as well and found it to be great at removing the last of whatever remains and even an ok touch up medium. Glad I gave it a go.

Back