Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite damascus cleaver - WIP

Composite damascus cleaver - WIP

Here we have a 9 bar composite prepped for welding. Alternating tight twist of pure nickel/01 and 15n20. The Top bar is a soft twist in 1080/15n20 and pure nickel. So the spine will be softer after HT and temper. The edge is a solid layer of 01 steel.

The stack after welding grinding clean and etching. This shows the twist pattern in their compressed state, only the outside of the twists are currently visible.

This shows the details of the different metals. The pure nickel is brightest, then 15n20, the 01 as etched appears black.

Plan for the Cleaver. The plan has evolved as I have worked as it has been that type of piece. it will be a tall heavier build Nakiri, Thick on the spine but full distal taper and hollow faces, a flat bevel each side. Extreme geometry. The handle will be damascus jade and nickel silver with high grade Koa wood.

The billet now forged close to final taper and ground clean. The Taper is 4mm over the choil to 1mm at the tip. Bevels are not ground at this stage. Blade is now ready for heat treatment.

Pattern details, the pattern now forged out is decompressed. The stars towards the core of the twists are already visible and will become more pronounced as the geometry is ground.

The blade has been heat treated. The edge tested to 65-66hrc as quenched. This was tempered back to 61 hrc, just a perfect balance for 01. Bevels are now being ground and hollow grinding on the faces of the blade from the spine to behind the bevels.

Grinding is nearly finished, i have put an edge on the blade to test it on food at home. Now I will make final adjustments to the geometry and move to hand finishing.

Pretty sweet!

-AJ

Nice WIP, thanks Will

gorgeous.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Super cool WIP Will. Thanks for sharing! Now get back to work on those Burke/Catchesides
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Engorged Member
    Looking good Will!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Thanks Guys, It's all on the go, I got the rest of the Burke blades HT'd and now straight! while I was indulging in this over the weekend. Next week is grinding...grinding ..grinding....

More process here.....Very detailed this time on process. Hope it doesn't send anyone to sleep.

Progress over the weekend. Working on the damascus for the ferrule and end cap. i really want it to get the look of the compressed multibar twists in the ferrule, and it should look very tasty ground into on the corners revealing the inner parts of the twists on the octagonal, Thats the plan anyway. Plus this blade is not light, not as heavy as you might think with the geometry but still it will need some balancing.

Bit more process detail here for you too, although using various different camera's/phones as batteries kept dying etc, so excuse any inconsistency in image quality.

Strips cut to size for the billet.
    left to right.
    Pure nickel/01/15n20

Pieces ground clean and uniform.

Each piece wiped down with acetone and stacked in the order desired.

Stack is squared, placed in the press, ends of the stack are held with a bead of mig weld while stack is under pressure.

The billet will be welded inside a mild steel can, as the thin nickel must be protected until the weld is complete.

Billet top and bottom painted with release agent so the can will not weld to the billet.

Stack loaded into the can.

The can is purged with pure argon.

Billet is soaked at an appropriate temperature for the materials. 1230-1300 degrees c works for me with 01 in the billet.

The weld has been made, a gentle squeeze in the hydraulic press.

Billet is left to soak in the can at a lower temperature, around 1200 c for 15-30 minutes, allowing grain growth across the weld boundaries.

And allowed to cool slowly in the dull heat of the furnace. I'm especially careful to do this when using 01, also a good idea generally after extended soak times.

Breakfast time in Rotherwas industrial estates finest eatery!

After a quick brunch the welded stack is released from the can.

Billet is brought up to heat, lightly fluxed on the edges and drawn out at welding heat.

Billet is now cut to two.

Each piece drawn to approximately 15mm square.

Both pieces drawn out to 15mm square the corners knocked off but not too much.

Each piece is twisted evenly and tightly, fluxing and cleaning as we go. The bars are twisted in opposite directions. It takes some time to get the twist tight and even doing it by hand.

Both pieces twisted, the diameter fattens and the bars shorten on twisting. I would say this is a medium/tight twist. It could go a bit further but in this case there is no need I don't think.

Pieces after pickling to remove forge scale.

Bars are now brought up to heat, lightly fluxed and drawn to about 12mm square.

I need to make some smaller squaring dies for the next stage. I have some larger ones for the press, these 30mm ones will be for the power hammer. I missed 2 heats here, previous to this I half forged the square edge in on each bar individually. But I had my hands full at that point! This is just the final heat squaring the top and bottom on the former, (30mm square bar).

Dies as forged.

Always round the edges on the top and bottom tools or there will be unpleasant pinching of the metal and work will stick in the dies easily.

Check for alignment as bolted in my hammer tool holder.

looking good!

Ready for the 3x3 twisty ferrule block! Bit long winded but makey tool now savey time later

Cool pics, Will, thanks for sharing them with us.

My pleasure Johnny, glad you like them. Just realized I've passed 1000 posts and it must be near my year anniversary as a KKF maker, so a full WIP seems appropriate.