Quantcast
Composite damascus cleaver - WIP - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Composite damascus cleaver - WIP

Ok - Still have not weighed it, the balance feels nice on the heel. I have all but very nearly finished it. Still would like to go over the bevels one more time and yet to permanently fix the handle in place. I will likely shoot some video with it as it is then do the final handle fix and any further necessary finishing. Some 80 hour gone into this one.
    I couldn't be happier with the way it cuts. The combination of weight and extreme geometry really works for me. It is a laser towards the tip and firmer at the heel but with no hint of wedge and great release all the way along the bevel. Great also to be able to play with the bevel finish or thin without effecting the damascus, though I've found you need to keep the stone washed with fresh water regularly on lower grits or the mud works its way up and can make scratches in the finish.
    Really chuffed with the Nickel/15n20/01 damascus its kind of holographic, the nickel gives another dimension and just sharpens it all up. Hard to get accross in pictures - I will do my best to capture some light playing on it in the video.
    And the lovely Burl source Red Koa.
    Anyway, forgive my self indulgence in a rather large amount of pictures.

Wow wow wow! Looks incredible! That choil shot looks very intriguing. So what's the fate of this beasty?

Thanks Scott Well I want to get some cutting footage with it to finish off the whole blog of the making etc. Then I will put it up for sale as a one off piece

Oh god...not what I wanted to hear

He hee
    I just weighed it - 414 grams she's a big girl, but she carries it well

stunning piece Will. Good work.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks Zwiefel, I've very much enjoyed working on it.
    If anyone would be looking to reserve this unique piece, drop me a pm for pricing. I will be releasing details to my mailing list in the next few days. If I remember my tripod from the workshop i'll shoot some video over the weekend and edit the other bits together.

Engorged Member
    Will, I love the hollow grind. I bet she performs like a a much shorter knife!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Thanks Judd, yeah it cuts like a much thinner knife but with the food release of a thicker ground knife. I was worried it would be too "fall through" type feeling with the weight and geometry, but it feels very controlled. I'm looking forward to trying it on more food products for the video. I will try some tall cuts on larger veg as well, see how it feels on the spine,and some firmer stuff, this is a very easy one to do the weight of the blade tomato trick with, as its fine grained steel and on the heavy side

Amazing !!