Bakers and Confectioners Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Found a rather interesting Confectioner's catalog from 1907

the catalog
W6qQHl.png
[/IMG]

The belt driven mixer.
2CHEzl.png
[/IMG]

And your gum aprons
Snjb9l.png
[/IMG]

But the best thing is a wide look at baker and confectioner knifes from Sabatier and Foster Bro's .

c6GPNl.png
[/IMG]

FpJg6l.png
[/IMG]

YZJ5fl.png
[/IMG]

the baker
SxKy9.jpg
[/IMG]

For the cook on the private yacht uniform.
2Vbcdl.png
[/IMG]

Thanks Eto

What i find of note is the cake knives ,one could look at that and say that's a carving or butcher knife .

and the forged bolster on the cake knife and cook's knife
because by the the time we see a 100 year knife or more it might be confused with something else
so much to learn .

Funny to see that the "genuine sabatier cake knife" has even the traditional flat section we know from the chef's knife. Can anyone tell me the difference?

Hi Benuser

my guess would be there is no difference .

I have actually seen a "Sabatier cake knife" that chef had or at least that is what he called it. It looked like a regular chef knife but , with very fine serrations. This maybe what's pictured but the serrations aren't clear in the drawing. Not bread knife serrations, much finer.

serrated chef.jpg

The foster's Bros. cake knives are also serrated, I have had several over the years with cocobolo handles and a few that had been upgraded to bone and ivory. The serrations were extremely fine almost like a hack saw blade.

Son do you have a example of the fine serrated knife from sabatier or foster bros ?
i have seen fine serrated knife's just not from them.

Chef's Sabatier is some where lost to time and I haven't seen a Foster's Bros in years. Like you said, many of them were sharpened or worn away and we will never know what they looked liked original. Most of the Foster Bros. ones were sharpened almost to the point were they looked like regular knives. I'll see if I have one lying around. here is one from the 50's

$(KGrHqV,!oUF!chvy2QyBQWmo3qEgg~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!mEFBO3mqS3wBQWmqUNpgQ~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!oMF!ZJwvumYBQWmp3ukSQ~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!pYF!0CEjK5tBQWmpm7-tg~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!l4FBD)k3VtkBQWmpN3yhg~~60_14.JPG

here are a couple more, the marks have worn off but, both attributed to Foster Bros.

serrated chef 2.jpg

serrated chef 3.jpg

I think the bottom one maybe a burns though. the two companies made some very similar designs for awhile.

yea Burn's did make fine serrated around that time and FOSTER BROS did make bread knives .
but the knife in this catalog micro serrated Sabatier and the Foster Bro's knives remains to be seen.

Steely can you enlarge the photos in the series of 5 I posted earlier, It isn't the same knife but, it is a micro serrated Foster Bros. They did make them, They are rare though. I have had the Foster's bros like the ones in the catalog in my collections over the years (only 2 or 3) and only ever saw the one Sabatier that Chef had. The problem with the Sabatiers is that there were so, many different makers. THe Foster's was micro-serrated and the Sabatier was not microserrated but, had finer serrations then your typical bread knife. It had serrations similar to the Landers, Frary and Clark listed above. These are rare animals indeed. If I hadn't of seen and held the Sabatier, I wouldn't have believed it existed at all. I cannot tell you which Sabatier made it though, I don't remember.

Thanks for going through this Son .When i try to enlarge the thumbnail it is to blurry .

this is a J Burn's knife out of New York and this pattern was copied by others as he held the patent.
gqCsHl.jpg
[/IMG]

This is getting away from the subject a bit but shows knives from Burns MFG .
And the serrated knives around at that time the catalog is 1907 and this is around the 1930's
inyNul.png
[/IMG]

64ipml.png
[/IMG]

This is the pattern for the Burns knife.
ImpX9l.png
[/IMG]

And just to show how early serrated knives were used .

Chinese, Eastern Zhou dynasty, Warring States period, 5th–4th century B.C.
t46lTl.jpg
[/IMG]

while I was looking for a serrated Sabatier this pop up from the Le Muse'e de la Coutellerie
Le Thiers knifes on display .
5coou.jpg
[/IMG]

Well Raise My Rent !
That is interesting
I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion Son.
Stop by for a beer anytime .

Me too. Now I'm going to get a hold of Sophie and see if she has that Sabatier. I will see if she will send it to me or at least take pictures if she finds it.

Latest posts

Back