Handles, Conversions, and other Stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
I just rejoined as a Hobbyist Crafstman for another year, so I thought I would start a new thread for 2013

Starting with Magnus's 150mm Shig petty.

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

And one of Josh's converted Forgecrafts with a beautiful Stefan Keller handle. The one roughed out next to it is going on another one of his Forge's it's Hackberry, Ivory, and Bog Oak.

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

That fordgecraft gets me going, lol... Really though, nice work. maybe it will be the inspiration I need to knock the scales off my fordgecraft and start my restoration. I'm going western though.

Love the pin on the Shig too!

Woo hoo! Looks awesome Mike! Thanks! I can't wait to see your finished handle, I like the direction you went in. I picked Stefan's to go on the forge cuz I felt it had a touch of 50's Art Deco to it. Yours reminds of 60's modern type stuff. Really dig it:doublethumbsup:

i haf to get me one of those Forgecrafts, thay look so cool. :)

This is my first time to use Bog Oak and it picked up the Ivory in it's grain. It will not come out I have used high pressure air, the buffer, I tried flushing it out, it aint comming out. Josh I need to know if you want to use it as, or do you want to $hit-can this one and try something different.

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

Just sent you a text Mike, but I'll repeat my sentiment here in case you're away from the phone... I say roll with it Mike. I think it'll make a nice transition between the blade and the ivory. But it is your design overall. If you're not happy with it, do what ya gotta do bro.

I like the effect. It helps to emphasize the grain.

If it is before finishing, I sometimes had luck with a toothbrush and some acetone. But oak is a more porous wood and it is more likely to happen there than with other woods. Personally, I wouldn't mind.

Stefan

I'm good if you're good. Thanks

Just sent you a text Mike, but I'll repeat my sentiment here in case you're away from the phone... I say roll with it Mike. I think it'll make a nice transition between the blade and the ivory. But it is your design overall. If you're not happy with it, do what ya gotta do bro.

Can't wait to see this puppy slapped on the other Forge, I have a feeling it's going to look pretty frickin awesome!

Mike, beautiful work my friend!! I love the hack berry handle. perfect combination of materials and a very cool look overall!

Thanks Stefan, I tried with denatured alchahol no luck

If it is before finishing, I sometimes had luck with a toothbrush and some acetone. But oak is a more porous wood and it is more likely to happen there than with other woods. Personally, I wouldn't mind.

Stefan

This handle was for Dave's Shig. It really turned out nice one of the few handles that I was really happy with, the symmetry, taper, finish, was all spot on. I tried for about two hours this morn. to get it on the knife. I could not get it to go, something was in the way. I finally decided that I had done something wrong and it was never going to work So I cut it apart to see what was wrong, there was a damn dowell at the bottom. I must have drilled the block put the dowell in there to make sure it would fit and forgot to take it out. Stupid, stupid stupid... Dave I will get to Texas Knife this weekend and start over ASAP. Do you want to do a triple MOP spacer? I probably shouldn't publish these kind of dumb mistakes? :O

IMG_3063.jpg

Mike, I was hoping to see it on the bricks soon but... Looks great but... Pls do the same thing only different.

Somewhere, Cutty is smiling.

I would probably use the tip, glue it to another handle piece, sand it all together and when it comes out smaller I'd call it a yanagi handle... And you have some nice black spacer pieces there.

Stefan

Pretty much. I have had this block a long time, finally got around to useing it. There is just a few spots of red left. I will take some daylight photos in the morn

??????
Was this piece all sapwood?

Latest posts

Back