Quantcast
Antique Japanese knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique Japanese knives

I believe you pretty much answered my question! I guess Pre-industrial Japan, no specific era or Shogunate. Lets say before the Tokugawa era for consideration sake (before the 17th. century).

Just curiosity Jon.... I just think this topic is interesting as hell!! knowing what I know now.. I guess we need to veer towards..

a) Has it always been a separate clan? Swormakers and Knifemakers (As it is now)?
    b) "If" at some point they were the same... Did they use different source for steel? Distinction?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    I believe you pretty much answered my question! I guess Pre-industrial Japan, no specific era or Shogunate. Lets say before the Tokugawa era for consideration sake (before the 17th. century).

Just curiosity Jon.... I just think this topic is interesting as hell!! knowing what I know now.. I guess we need to veer towards..

a) Has it always been a separate clan? Swormakers and Knifemakers (As it is now)?
    b) "If" at some point they were the same... Did they use different source for steel? Distinction?

What do you think?
    can i take this conversation to PM with you?

Here are the promised pics:

I picked this up on eBay a while back for $80. I was at Disneyland and at night back at the hotel I was checking knives on eBay, I saw it and thought the kanji looked like Sugimoto, but it's so old it's a little different than it is now (and I know absolutely nothing about kanji), so I emailed the pics to Sugimoto and heard back from them after the auction had ended with no bids. Luckily the guy posted it in his eBay store. The dude is this one GIANT A-Hole who sells a lot of older carbon knives on eBay. He is ALWAYS over priced and ALWAYS lying about the origin of his knives etc, always says stuff about how it's the sharpest knife he's ever come across when really it's all beat to hell and dull as a butter knife (if you shop knives on eBay you know the guy I'm talking about - I can't remember his username since it's been ages since I prowled eBay a lot.) Anyway, he thought it was Chinese made and if it were it would have been overpriced about five times over (like all his knives) but lucky for me he's an idiot and it was the equivalent of a Sugimoto #3 which is about $350 new let alone a 60 year old antique. It was a great personal victory. :biggrin2:

WOW good call by you to send a photo.

Not antique but reasonably old... purchased by my wife's folks when they lived in Japan in the 80s. Unfortunately the tip got nipped off during a move... no idea who the maker is.

I don't read Japanese but the knife looks like a couple of low end Masamotos I bought off Korin maybe 10-12 years ago.

You're talking about Ralph1396, Andy? He's definitely full of crap, but he does come up with some interesting pieces from time to time.

Nice cleaver.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    Not antique but reasonably old... purchased by my wife's folks when they lived in Japan in the 80s. Unfortunately the tip got nipped off during a move... no idea who the maker is.

The kanji & hiragana look weird.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter