Initial Western Sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbartel

Reaction score
I was just curious what is meant by "Initial Western Sharpening" that I see when looking at knives on your site. I read in another post that a lot of Japanese knives come not terribly sharp. Is that what you are referring to? Why Western sharpening on a Japanese knife?

Thanks!
Brian

Brian, most blades from mid and high end vendors come with only a partially finished edge on them. the assumption is that the buyer is sophisticated enough to know what kind of edge they want and to create it themselves. Despite this, most of these knives come with an OOTB edge that will shame the standard German/French offerings...which mostly about the geometry of the knife and not the edge per se.

In this context, "western sharpening" basically means "double bevel."

Brian, most blades from mid and high end vendors come with only a partially finished edge on them. the assumption is that the buyer is sophisticated enough to know what kind of edge they want and to create it themselves. Despite this, most of these knives come with an OOTB edge that will shame the standard German/French offerings...which mostly about the geometry of the knife and not the edge per se.

In this context, "western sharpening" basically means "double bevel."

Exactly! Thank you. :D

Back