Food/Knife-Related Resolutions for 2013

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lucretia's post on pressure cookers got me thinking, and this morning I professed to my wife that I was going to learn how to use with at least moderate ability a pressure cooker -- then I told her -- but you have to get me a pressure cooker for Christmas first. There's the catch.

So here are my food-related resolutions for the coming year:

* Learn how to use a pressure cooker.
* Learn about Portuguese wines (and drink them a lot ;))
* Finally buy a good set of belts for my belt sander and start using it.
* Get into a pizza dough routine so I can make homemade pizza with minimal effort.

k.

1. Learn how to cook rolled stuffed cabbage and some Japanese dishes.
2. Learn how to sharpen knives. My dad has been wanting to teach me... I just worry how things get when parents teach you things.
3. Learn how to bake puff pastry.

Food: Simplify. For dinner guests I have been trying to do way too much by myself.

Knives: Buy more!

1. Take my food back to the basics and more "classic"
2. Start baking with yeast water more
3. Upgrade my grain mill to an electric model
4. Buy more ODC
5. Start making sayas for my knives

First of all, make more of my households foods from the ground up.
An even better focus on greens and vegetables as part of our meals.
We all love fish in our household, so learning more and better ways to prep and cook that is also important to me.
We all train pretty hard(Running and MA), and balancing our diet accordingly is important to us, lots of room for improvement in that area.

That's it really, along with more knives and stones. but that's a given to most members on here, right?

I don't know... I'm lost. :dontknow: Maybe I need to head to JKI to check out all the stuff I need but don't know it yet...

:bliss: Cook more at home
:bliss: Lean how to handle apple cider (or just alcohol in general)
:bliss: Use just tiny bit less salt in my cooking
:bliss: Translate more cook books and share them
:bliss: Learn more about tea ceremony and Japanese yakimono

Bam!

improving my understanding of these tools, acquiring more toys, continuing to evangelize for quality cutlery, and taking some in-person sharpening lessons from Dave/Jon/Eamon/etc.

I need to quit buying wood from the pusher, until I everything is taken care of first.
Of coarse I need to get more knives rehandled. Buy more knives.

Maybe teach some cooking courses.

1. Get a job - that seems to be a recurring theme...
2. Never, ever buy any more wood. Ever.
3. Make more stuff from scratch, especially after I get a job and can move to a place with a larger freezer.
4. Bake bread and cook at home more regularly. And try not to eat it all right away.
5. Lose one Sara (= 60 pounds ;) ).
6. Learn to make the best of sous vide cooking.
7. Take better care of my knives, more oiling and sharpening. Maybe even sell a few.

Stefan

1.GET A NEW JOB !!!!!!!!
2. Get new stones
3. Get some custom knives from forum makers. Marko, Mario, Devin, Pierre, Bill B., Del, Mr. Martell and Randy.
4. Get a knife handle from Stefan, I've already got 2 from Mike Henry, I've gotta give Stefan some love.
5. Buy some wood from Mark at Burlsource
6. Find some kind of way to repay all the awesome forum members here for all their kindness. E.G.: Son, Lefty, Mark @ Burlsource, mhenry, every single person that has donated to the PIF project, every person that posted or PM'ed me about my wife etc, etc, etc!!!!!

Definitely, I want to get more consistent with my knife making. Not just in results, but in routine too.

I'd REALLY like to get my own grinder running, and maybe a heat treat oven by the end of the year.

Pick up some good stones and improve sharpening.

Save up for Hobbyist membership.

1. Master Sous Vide and vacuum sealing
2. Make bread and roast coffee weekly, somehow I got out of that habit
3. Get Burke and Marko knives in my rotation
4. Find out where I am living next, thanks Uncle Sam
5. Get a pro slicer for my sous vide and charcuterie

Buy less knives.

Buy better knives.

Holy %^&* son! Thats genius! I wish I would have thought of that. And also less tobacco pipes, "fine writing instruments", and fragrances....I kinda wish I would have held out just for the good stuff. But then again, sometimes the Wusthof just puts the Jknives to shame because youre not scared of breaking it, and thats when my mind gets confused and falls into pits of disarray and AD overindulsion in anything I can get my hands on.

Continue the moratorium on knife purchases and get on the stick about selling off the rest of my no-longer-needed knives. (Probably at least 20 left)

To save up enough money to buy some of Salty's knives. :lol2:

Me ?

Any resolutions are just gonna have to wait until after that pesky Mayan calendar deadline...

Back